Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanting to convert from Baquacil to Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Wanting to convert from Baquacil to Chlorine

I just registered for Trouble Free Pool. I am trying to get use to the website. I bought a 18' round pool in April and was talked into using the Baquacil system. I have been dissatisfied from the start. I have had 3 pools in my life and all up to this one have been chlorine based. I really don't know why I changed, my bad. I have found help on this website on converting and I want to become a TFP supporter. I will do that in the near future. Looking forward to any support I can get on the conversion I will do next year when opening the pool up.
    18' Round AGP, 8,600 gallons, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wanting to convert from Baquacil to Chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

There are many people here who will be happy to support you during your conversion. Presumably you have already read the conversion instructions in Pool School and read through some other people's conversion experiences?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You might have time to convert this season still. Depends on your weather I suppose. Looks like the last conversion here took about 8 days to get to clear and sparkly, ready for CYA. Not bad. And if you're the actual owner you'll have more opportunities to maintain chlorine than Leebo (TFP's most recent convert) has had since the pool he's converting is his Inlaw's pool.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey, welcome to TFP. People here love a conversion and love to help. Lots of good info on doing it, and lots of success stories. Good luck and ask when you need help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

[center:2uo0w2jj]

[/center:2uo0w2jj]
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

6. Back To Top    #6

As the one who most recently switched, I'd 100% suggest making the change. The swap really isn't much more difficult that a bad case of algae.....just this will take MUCH more time. You already know the benefits of chlorine, and how much easier it should be. This is something that I'm still about to learn. As "JasonLion" stated, there are several members on the board that will help you through the steps, and enjoy watching your progress.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the support. We live in Missouri so in the past I would close the pool up right before the leaves start dropping, around mid September. I think I will just fight through the rest of this summer with the Baq. and start fresh in the spring with the chlorine. Usually we open up around early May. This will give me plenty of time to get all the bleach I will need.

8. Back To Top    #8

I will be purchasing the T100 test kit. My question is will I need to reorder any of the test supplies, run out of any, after I use them converting to chlorine?

9. Back To Top    #9

You will run out eventually.....but shouldn't have the need to order about 90% of the kit for the swap. I would HIGHLY suggest you order the XL option when you order. They will send you two bottles of the R-0870 and the R-0871. These two are used to test the chlorine in the pool. I am down to enough supplies for about two or three more tests on this one. You will be in need of this one way before all the others. Also, if you're like me I would suggest ordering one or two of the spoons. Mine has got wet a few times due to MY carelessness and I've had to clean out the case a few times due to this issue. Order a few extra and keep them in a dry bag somewhere in the kit, this way you can just rotate to the next one if they do happen to get wet.

10. Back To Top    #10

Also, be sure to keep us posted when you re-open. We love these conversions. Check out Pool School too, lots and lots of good info in there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

I really like your new look. It is quite an upgrade. It is the end of March and getting closer to my conversion this year. I just ordered the TF-100 and thinking it's about time for looking for bleach sales. I would like to possible start this conversion around mid April. It's probably a little sooner that I'd like but I would like to get it done before May when our Maple starts shedding helicopters. Last year I swam in the pool maybe 5 times. Every time I would go in and would swim under water I would get a congestion filled sinus by the evening. It was miserable. I love the smell of chlorine. I have been reading all the threads I can on conversions from you website. They have been very helpful. I will take pictures and post them. What is the best way to get the pics from my cell phone to your website? Stay tune for the start around mid April.

12. Back To Top    #12

Check out the calculator in this thread for help finding the best deal on bleach:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ine-calculator

Either host the photos on a site like Photobucket and post a link.
    OR
    View the forum with Tapatalk on your phone which will let you attach pictures from your phone and host them for you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Look forward to the conversion!

Do take and post those pics, we love seeing the change. With 8600 gallons, it ought to be relatively easy too.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

14. Back To Top    #14

We were using baquacil for 4 years...my son always had the same problem with his sinuses too. I found this website and read it for a couple of years but kept putting it off because I was intimidated by the process....how sill I was!!! This year I took the plunge and it was so easy! Just follow all of the guides laid out and you won't be sorry. We are all enjoying our pool now. My son is in it all the time! Our pool is 7000 gallons and it took roughly a week.

7000 Gallon 13 x 26 IG heated fibreglass pool w/ built in spa seats, 1 1/2 Hayward self priming Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series 62GPM sand filter w/zeolite media, Shark robotic cleaner, LaMotte ColorQ Pro-11 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

That's great. I will be on vacation next week and I plan to convert it then. I'm curious as to how much bleach you used. I have been buying it for the last 3 weeks and I'm up to 30 96 oz jugs.

16. Back To Top    #16

it took me 72 121oz jugs

7000 Gallon 13 x 26 IG heated fibreglass pool w/ built in spa seats, 1 1/2 Hayward self priming Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series 62GPM sand filter w/zeolite media, Shark robotic cleaner, LaMotte ColorQ Pro-11 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

there is a thread that documents my entire conversion

18. Back To Top    #18

oh...we found a three pack of the 121 oz jugs at Sam's Club for $8.98

19. Back To Top    #19

That picture is awesome! The pool toys look like they're levitating!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

20. Back To Top    #20

I was about to say that the Photoshopping of the dolphins looks a little off ... that is some clear water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast