Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When will my pH stop increasing?!?!!

1. Back To Top    #1

When will my pH stop increasing?!?!!

I've been using Muriatic Acid to lower my pH all year and it still keeps climbing. I'm going through about a gallon to a gallon and a half per week. It's a new plaster pool (first opened late last fall and then immediately closed) so as far as I can tell, the pH levels creeping up is to be expected, but how long does it typically last?

Will is stabilize before I close the pool for the winter (October)?

Thanks!
    Bart
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When will my pH stop increasing?!?!!

Bart,

If you can post a full set of test results we can help you get a better understanding of where you pool is at.
    Finding the sweet spot for your TA level should help slow down the PH move.
    Adding Borates to the pool can help slow down PH drift.

Most pools experience a rise in PH over time and is usually countered by adding muriatic acid (MA) as you are doing. Things like aeration can drive PH up faster. Does your pool have water features that bubble or splash water into the pool?

Add your pool information to your signature so we can get an idea of your set-up.

3. Back To Top    #3

PH increases from new plaster typically last about a year. PH increases from other causes, like high TA, continue until you eliminate the cause, such as lowering the TA
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

what's your TA level? do you have a vanishing edge pool or other feature that adds oxygen?
    14,000 gallon plaster IG vanishing edge pool with cartridge filter with a two speed 3/4 HP converted whisperflow pump on the filter and a 2HP single speed whisperflow on the vanishing edge.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks folks! My TA was 120 the last time I tested it.

I have a "regular" pool -- no vanishing edge or waterfall or anything like that.
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's my experience with a new SWG pool. It might give you an idea of what to expect.

My pool was finished in December 2010. I have a spillover spa (but it's the same level as the pool with very little spashing). I'm still adding about one quart of MA every other day. My pH goes from 7.8 prior to adding the MA to 7.2 after I add the MA. It's been this way for about 4 months. In the first couple of months after the build the MA usage was huge.

Based on the advice here I've been trying to lower my TA and it's down to 60 right now and pH is still rising as described above. With the drought here in SE Texas and the constant refilling of about an inch of water (my tap water is in the 200 TA range, IIRC) every 10 days or so it's been very hard to lower my TA below 60. I'm shooting for 50 and I'm hoping that will slow it down.

I'm also hoping to see a slow down after the one year anniversary, but I'm not seeing it yet--but it's better than the first six weeks when I was adding about a 1/2 gallon of MA every day.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I too had a build with water in the plaster pool by November 2010. I add a gallon easily per week to keep it within spec. Usage hasn't yet changed and my TA is low.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit