Diving Board Cantilever base
Tagelus 60 D sand Filter
IntelliChlor SWG
8 foot steps
2 LED Intellibrite
2 Deckjets
Concrete Sidewalk to 3'

$25,390

We were told this job could get done in 2 weeks. It that possible? He said we could be swimming by the end of Sept.
This is our first pool. We're total Noobs. My husband is not sure he wants SWG. I'm very nervous.

Payment schedule would be: Deposit 10%
Excavation 15%
Pool 50%
Liner 20%
Patio 5%

Thanks for any advice.
Kate

Welcome to TFP! The two things I don't like are the two returns and the payment schedule. You need atleast 4 returns maybe more being an "L". I'll let someone else address that. You also want to talk about the size of the plumbing and what is a direct home run as well.

I don't like so little money at the end. There have been other threads discussing it lately so you can do a search. I have participated in some discussions you can search for my name if you have to. I would want to knock that pool draw down to maybe 30% and keep that 20% till 30 days after completion of all work or after punch list whatever is later.

If you want to swim this year put "time is of the essence" in the contract. Starting this late in the year I would want a great price or wait till March or so.

I vote yes all the way on the SWG. If you have 25k for a pool you have 26k for a salt water pool. It just makes it easier to maintain. The money you save on chemicals helps offset the cost so it is kind of a wash in the long run.

Do search for the old threads from the last month or so. A lot of food info there and if you can't find them let me know and I will find them for you.

Well, we just did a retangular 16x32 3 to 8 1 skimmer 3 returns 4 deck jets 2 LED Intellibrite and 3 foot concrete skirt for roughly 28,000 then we did a paver patio and such... but that price of 25,390 is pretty good price. When we were picking a builder we didn't go with the cheapest nor did we go with the most expensive, they either cut corners or included gadets we didnt want. What are they using as a Backfill? make sure it is gravel. I would recommend another 2 returns at least... and a dedicated suction line for the vaccum. The SWG would be nice, we opted not to do that this year but will be next spring as well as an automation system... What size pump is included? as well are they including a safty winter cover? Make sure they are doing all the permitting and such...

It's possible that it COULD be done in 2 weeks, but I would strongly doubt it. It took us longer than that just to get the permit approval from the town. My advice would be take your time and get it done right, not fast. You'll have years to enjoy it.

You might want a couple more returns, one or two in the steps would be nice too, but it's a cost/benefit decision you have to talk about with the builder. My opinion on the SWG, it's indispensable. Other people don't mind the extra work, but again, cost/benefit. Everything else listed looks nice to me. You might want more than 3' for the deck. If you have other patio area close by then it might not be so bad, but think hard about how you'll be using the space and make sure you get exactly what you want. It's not impossible to add deck later but cheaper to do it now.

ktsciscio said:
16x38x26x12 Vinyl Inground True L
3'6" to 8' Depth
2 Main Drains
2 Returns
2 Skimmers
Diving Board Cantilever base
Tagelus 60 D sand Filter
IntelliChlor SWG
8 foot steps
2 LED Intellibrite
2 Deckjets
Concrete Sidewalk to 3'

$25,390

We were told this job could get done in 2 weeks. It that possible? He said we could be swimming by the end of Sept.
This is our first pool. We're total Noobs. My husband is not sure he wants SWG. I'm very nervous.

Payment schedule would be: Deposit 10%
Excavation 15%
Pool 50%
Liner 20%
Patio 5%

Thanks for any advice.
Kate
Can I ask who is the PB?

I received three qoutes for 42x20 double roman. Without equipment(pump,lights,filter,heater, electical..) but with LoopLoc cover:
ValleyPools -36K
KeyStone - 33K
Atlantis - 48K

FWIW, I went from a pristine back yard to a 16x30 vinyl kidney ready to go and in the water in 2 weeks.

The payment schedule is fine for a vinyl pool. Once the liner is in, your pool is pretty much done. I'd probably do 10% at the end rather than 5%, but nobody is going to let you hold 20% for 30 days.

My L shaped pool has 6 returns, including 2 returns on the steps. With proper aiming, these returns do a great job in directing all the debris to the 2 skimmers, in the deep end on either side of the diving board. My pool took about 2 weeks from start to finish, the longest wait was for the liner, after they measured the excavation. You may want to add a deep end ladder.

Thank you for all the advice. I love this website. I've been lurking for awhile.

Can I ask who is the PB?

I received three qoutes for 42x20 double roman. Without equipment(pump,lights,filter,heater, electical..) but with LoopLoc cover:
ValleyPools -36K
KeyStone - 33K
Atlantis - 48K

The PB is National Pools and Spas in NJ. There are not a lot of vinyl PB in this area. It seems like a lot of them have bad reps. It's all very nerve-wracking! :shock:

Also check pool builder with BBB, and ask them to go look at some of the work they have done, as well if they are currently involved in an install ask them if you can visit the work site (with owner approval obviously) Get a good feel of who they are!!

Welcome to TFP!!

Any chance of you posting a pic of the proposed pool layout? I agree that 2 returns aren't enough and, with a pic, we can help you plan where the returns and skimmers ought be placed. :)

With the permits already secured... 2 weeks from dig to swimable?? :? The last company I worked for could dig on Monday and have you swimming Thursday evening :cool:

Again, welcome here! If you have further questions, just ask. Also try to keep us informed as to what the PB is doing, at any stage of the install - we can help at every turn :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also live in SE PA. I suggest you add a pool heater.

Here in PA, you need the heater in MAy and Sep, especially in the mornings to reheat what was lost the previous night. I have been using my heater for the past 3 days this week as its going down to high 50s at night and the pool temp in the morning is 82F. A 3 hr heat in the morning is enough to heat the pool back up for swimming. In Sep I use a solar cover at night, which slows down the heat loss at night. We like it to be 86-88F for swimming

My pool's dimensions are very similar to your proposed ones but not quite as big. I have a Grecian L that is that is aprox, 16.5x32x26x10 it goes from 3.5feet to 8 or 9 feet, with 5 returns and 2 skimmers.

1 in the stair, to help keeps the steps clear
1 in the "L" I use to to push things toward the main body of the pool.
1 in the opposite side of the "L", I use this to push things toward the deepend
2 In the deep end
-1 in the deepest part
-1 that aims toward the floor to help circulation

I guess, I could get away with 1 less jet in deep end. Since your pool is bigger, I'd suggest at least 2 more jets, to help with circulation and minimizing dead spots.

What size pump are you getting? I'd recommend, asking for a 2 speed pump. It will help you save money on your electric bill, since you don't have any water features, you don't need the full speed most of the time anyway.

What size is your plumbing? 1.5 inch or 2? I'd go with 2 inch if you can.

3' deck is pretty minimal. 3 of my sides are 3 foot and really, its only wide enough to walk on. I can't place any furniture on it. I know the deck can get real spendy, but depending on how your property is arranged, you might want to consider a larger deck. The space created by the L almost begs for some amount of deck (that is where my deck is much bigger)

tatertot09 makes a good point, think about plumbing a cleaner. Now would be the time. Consider whether you'd want a pressure side or return side cleaner. You can get either plumbed.

The next things are some observations I have with my pool. They are really more or less my personal preferences. They aren't really suggestions, take 'em or leave them.
Diving board
  • No one uses it. I've been tempted to remove it. Think about whether or not you care. Frankly, I think if anyone did use it, I'd rather a diving rock.
Depth.
  • the Shallow end was surprisingly shallow to me. My kids are 12 and 13. Its almost too shallow for them. Maybe if my kids were smaller, it'd be ok. I think if I were to build one today, I'd go with 4' shallow end.
    Deep end is deeper than I need. If I didn't have a diving item (diving board, diving rock), I'd probably just go to like 6'

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.