Replace Jandy Cell or whole system

May 23, 2007
Michigan
I have the Jandy aqualink system that that controls my aquapure 1400, heater, spillover spa, etc. The system is about 5 years old and two years ago I replaced a board and last year I replaced the the flow sensor for about $200. Now I am getting the code 172,186 again so I think the sensor may be bad. Considering the cost to replace the sensor and cell (3-Port) should I consider purchasing a complete new system for the chlorine generation requirements ? I rarely change the settings on the Aquapure so being able to do it with remote is not a big deal. My aqualink has the aquapure LCD display behind a control board that needs to be removed with a few screws to view the display so it wasn't a very integrated solution when I purchased it anyway. It just seems the sensors are not very reliable.

My pool is 20*40 with a diving board.

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I bought a house last year with about a 9 year old pool with a jandy 1400. I got the cell to produce some chlorine after a heavy cleaning. But then the sensor would not show correct salt readings, so I re-calibrated it to get by. Then the sensor would show no flow, so no chlorine production. A sensor with a 16 foot cable was $200,and I needed the 16 foot cord. There was an 8 foot sensor/wire for less, but it would not work.

In the end, I went ahead and bought the new 3 port cell with sensor and power cable from poolsupplyworld for about $475 plus tax. I plumbed it in and my unit has been working great for the last 2 months. My 9 year old panel seems to still be working fine.

I have read that there were lots of problems with the older Jandy sensors. So I am hoping that the new 3 port cells have a better sensor unit that will last. Only time will tell.

But like you, my Jandy is wired to run when the pump is on, none of the fancy stuff is wired to the rs link in the house. So I could of pretty easily just put in one of the inexpensive compu pool systems for 600 ish dollars. Or maybe one of the higher end units in the $1,000 range. But in the end, I decided that the Jandy unit is a pretty high quality unit that was installed in a lot of pools in the last decade, so I am hoping to get 5-10 more years out of it. So far so good LOL!

Good luck.

Do you have the older 2 port cell? I did, and the 3 port cell was exactly the same length and looked like it would bolt right in, until I realilzed that the fittings threads were different. Since it was the same length I was able to replumb my unit without too much trouble or expense. Good luck with your install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.