Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Our pool wont hold free chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Las vegas, NV

Our pool wont hold free chlorine

We run our salt water pool generator for 4 hrs like it says to in the manual. We have had our pool open for 6 weeks now and can seem to keep all our levels right except that there is never any free chlorine or any of the other chlorine unless we add chlorine to the pool ourselves. The pool is always cloudy (not green). We have tried running the generator for 6 hrs and still nothing. Our salt levels are where they are suppose to be, and my husband made sure the genrator and filter were clean and working. To me the water is always dirty as if the filter isnt working but why can't we get any chlorine in the pool or to stay once we add it???

Frustrated pool mom !
    Krystal Clear Model 637R Filter Pump AND
    krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Central Califorina

Re: Our pool wont hold free chlorine

Sounds like you need to shock your pool. Hard to tell exactly what you need to do without accurate test results.

Did you add CYA as well as salt?

I have a 2000 gallon pool with intex sand filter and SWCG. Upgrading your pump/filter would be a wise investment.

My CYA is at 70 ppm and I run my SWCG 2 hours a day with the pump on 4 hours and my water is crystal clear.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Reading Pool School will help you understand that chlorine is consumed by organics (algae) in your pool and that's almost surely your issue.

However, a complete set of test results is about the only way to get you started clearing your pool.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, Texas

Please post a complete set of test results and we can help you pinpoint the problem.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA (stabilizer) helps hold the chlorine that is created. Probably low, your testing will show if that is the culprit.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I agree, we need to know if you have any CYA in the pool. Without it, with Vegas sun and heat, you'd be hard-pressed to keep up with demand pouring in bleach all day. As you may have learned already.

If you don't already have a good test kit, get one. I recommend the TF100 with a speedstir. It's what I use, makes testing fast, easy, and accurate. With your own test results, pool calculator, and maybe some advice from here, you'll be able to have perfect water that will be the envy of the neighborhood.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Cincinnati, OH

Also, you should be running your SWG based on chlorine test results. The manual really doesn't know what your pool is doing and running it 4 hours may or may not be long enough. Also the % may or may not be high enough to keep up with the chlorine demand.

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit