Hi. I just had an IG installed about 3 months ago. The pool is shaped irregularly, so it's dimensions are 32 ft max x 16 ft max x 4 ft avg depth. Based on this, I estimate about 15k gallons. So being new to the whole pool thing (I wish I had known about this site 3 months ago, it's GREAT!), I let the pool builder start it up, and their pool school consisted of telling what the valves do, told me to get a floater so I can put "walmart" pucks in it (trichlor), put 2 packs of "walmart" shock (cal-hypo 68%) every week, and 1 pack of shock (cal-hypo 68%) after heavy bathing. Reading this site, it seems this is not the recommended approach to maintaining the pool chemistry, to say the least.
2 weeks ago I learned about your site, and have read pool school and numerous posts, and bought a decent test kit at the "L" brand store (see pic):
I've also discontinued using the pucks, shock, and have switched to using 6% bleach for chlorinating. I've been testing the water and learned my TA was way high (180) and have been trying to lower using MA per the Pool Calculator. The issue I'm having is that my chlorine is not staying high, even when I shock the pool with a lot of bleach (try to raise to 15).
These are the vitals:
pH 7.3 (this is a little low because I've been adding MA to lower TA)
CYA ~120 (test doesn't measure above 100, so I extrapolated "exponentially" as best as I could)
The water looks good:
But based on what I've read on this site, if I get algae, I'll have a hard time to recover. So what do you recommend I do? Any help is greatly appreciated.