Power level and percentages question

jsw5620

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2011
Pike Road, AL
Do the power levels on SWCG's overlap or are they separate? Meaning is power level 2 at 75% less output than power level 3 at 10%? I have been running at power level 2 at 60% (of course at night the % is lower due to pool pilot compensating for water temp) and first day or 2 it seemed to be maintaining it at 5.5ppm. I checked last night and it had dropped to 3.5ppm so I upped the output to 75%. What is the threshold that you would want to increase the power level and decrease the %? :cheers:

Power level 1 is 5.0 amps, Power level 2 is 6.5 amps, and Power level 3 is 8.0 amps. I usually recommend that if you're running at 75% or higher, increase the power level up one, and lower the % to 50%. Then make your fine tune adjustments to the % to hold your chlorine level. OR if you're running 25% or lower, decrease the power level by one, and increase the % to 50%, again fine tuning it to your desired chlorine level. This helps with optimizing the Temp Compensation feature.

I have a similar question. My gas heater is connected on the exit of my DE filter and before my Autopilot DIG -220 cell tree. As a result, whenever I run my heater (like 3 hrs in the AM this week since cold here at night), the autopilot autocorrects for the higher temp and raises my SWG setting much higher than I need. My present chlorine draw is stable with the autopilot set to 55% with pool temp at 87F. But when the heater runs, the SWG yesterday went up to 90% and stayed there all day even with the heater off and pool temp back to 87F. It appears that the SWG is quick to raise the SWG setting higher than 55%, but is very slow to lower it back when the outlet temp decreases down with heater off.

My fix has been to cycle the power to reset the Autopilot after my heater cycles off (pool temp at 87F). Is there an easier way, since cycling power results in extra power cycles to my pump also.

I am using the power 2 setting and my cell is a SC-46

Poolsean said:
Don,

It should respond fairly quickly so when it drops back down, the output should change too. What temperature does the DIG show when the heater comes on? Is the display still showing a high temp after the heater turns off?

I ran the heater agin for 3 hrs this morning. Before I turned heater on the DIG indicated 82F and SWG setting was 44%. The DIG temp tracked with the Raypack temp indication and the pool thermometer in the water before turning on heater and after I turned off the heater. When the heater is on, the DIG indicates 5-7 F higher as expected since the heater out is before the DIG cell/temp tree. Now today when I checked the pool 4 hr after turning off the heater, the pool was up to 86F, the heater indicated 86, and the DIG was 88F (it read 91F before the heater went off), but the SWG setting was at 98%. If it responded quickly, I would think the DIG would have autocorrected back to the 55% setting. Now based on yesterday, the SWG will stay at 98% until the pump is cycled off.

It almost looks like some delay loop that requires time to die off when the temp decreases. And it has been this way since I installed the nedw DIG-220 in 2007

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.