Blue Hawaiian Olympic Bay 41x16 FG Build - SE Pennsylvania

jhav

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2011
Been lurking on this forum for a while as we have been interviewing many contractors over the past ~2 months and trying to figure out what type of pool to build. We started out thinking we were going to build a gunite pool, but after much additional reading, research, and discussions, we finally settled on fiberglass. We've chosen a rectangular Blue Hawaiian model called the Olympic Bay - measurements are listed at 41' x 16' with a 7' deep end.

We just signed a contract last week and are currently working to finalize the topo survey so that we can submit the permit application this week - not sure how long that will take. I'm currently thinking that we are looking at a late-September install.

I am still reading and researching certain items for the pool and am open to any last-minute suggestions that you all might have... here is where I am thus far:

- Coverstar auto-cover installed
- 4 deck jets (installed in decking)
- SWG
- Two skimmers ---- contractor is telling me that I should only use one as the second will mess with the flow and create dead spots. I had been set on 2 based on things I have read on this site... any thoughts?
- 4 returns
- 1 dedicated vac line return
- 2" plumbing throughout
- Water line tile
- Hose spigot installed on equipment pad
- 4 LED lights
- Slide line plumbed for possible future addition

Here are things that I am still working to finalize:
- Leaning towards Bluestone coping --- think it will look nice with the rectangular pool
- torn between using stamped concrete OR pavers for the decking.... leaning towards the stamped concrete
- Equipment as follows:
*Sta-Rite cartridge filters
*Sta-Rite VS pump
*Pentair SWG
*Pentair Heat Pump --- am leaning towards the Heat Pump over a NG heater given the fact that we'll have the cover... I like the water warm though and not 100% sure I'm making the right call here

I'm still on the fence as to which cleaner to add. My contractor is pushing a robot - the Smartpool Wall Scrubber specifically as he thinks it will do the best job... but the reviews I have read online haven't blown me away. I was thinking that the Baracuda MX8 suction-side cleaner might do the job... still unsure where to go here.

Also, I NEED a basketball court for pool play and am not sure whether to have one installed into the pool deck or to use one of the 'moveable' versions. Have also seem some neat looking volleyball courts which would work great on our rectangular pool.. any ideas here would be appreciated. I was already going to install some umbrella sleeves in the decking and was thinking that I could install one on both sides of the middle of the pool which, in addition to holding umbrellas, could be used to hold a bball hoop and/or volleyball setup.

Our job is a bit complicated and will involve the demolition of our current wood deck, relocation of a large swing set/slide, and the installation of a seepage pit (per township requirements). I'm looking forward to getting things under way!

Re: New Fiberglass Install - suburban-Philly

Nearly every F/G pool only has a single skimmer. That's how they are made.

I prefer the Pentair cartridge filters over the Sta-Rite side's.

F/G pools really need a 3' wide collar of concrete. It should be tied onto the pool with rebar every couple feet.

Do they install a sump so you can drain any water from under the shell or a dry well? IMHO, every shell should.

What are they using for back fill?

Is there rock clause for the dig? Watch for heavy clay content soil. If it's near the bottom, over dig by a foot and use either sand or 3/8' stone to bring it up. This will help keep it from shifting off level. With a tile line planned, this is all the more important.

I assume you trucking in water so you can back fill as its filling.

Do not let them use dig spoils for back fill. It will leave voids as it settles. Wash in sand or 38" stone is appropriate.

Put a 3 way valve between the pump and filter. This will allow you to vacuum to waste or lower the water. A hose bib, IMHO, doesn't cut it.

A heat pump in our geo will heat the pool but won't really do it for extending the season.

LED powered Laminars, while somewhat more costly, really look a LOT nicer than plain deck jets.

Are you using Savi's LEDs?

Movable hoops.

I suggest dedicated V-Ball posts. Umbrella poles are a different size.

Scott

From experience here. Make double sure that the bottom fill is settled and compacted completley before they set the pool in. Mine "was" perfectly level when it was complete and filled and now the bottom is wavy and one corner of the shallow end has settled about 3/4 inch. It drives me nuts looking at the water line but I'm the only one who notices it. Like in the above post....I do have a "sump" that I could drain any water that happened to get under the pool but it has always been dry for the past 5 years. You will love the fiberglass!

Donnie

Hi Scott - Thanks for the feedback and suggestions --- I have a few additional thoughts/questions for you if you have a chance:

PoolGuyNJ said:
Nearly every F/G pool only has a single skimmer. That's how they are made.

Since my pool is rectangular, I was told that they could install a second skimmer during installation --- the 'skimmer area' is not pre-fabircated into the mold of my pool and will be 'cut' during the install. If you had the choice to install a 2nd skimmer, would you? Or would you stick with a single?

PoolGuyNJ said:
I prefer the Pentair cartridge filters over the Sta-Rite side's.

Any particular reason for your Pentair preference? From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I prefer the 'black' color of the Sta-rite equipment more than the 'tan' Pentair color. But I'll always choose function over appearance if there is a good reason.

PoolGuyNJ said:
F/G pools really need a 3' wide collar of concrete. It should be tied onto the pool with rebar every couple feet.

Are you suggesting that we avoid using bluestone coping, or just that the bluestone be installed over top of the concrete collar?

PoolGuyNJ said:
Do they install a sump so you can drain any water from under the shell or a dry well? IMHO, every shell should.

My contract includes a drywell for de-watering -- but there is no mention of a sump... I'll inquire.

PoolGuyNJ said:
What are they using for back fill?

Stone.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Is there rock clause for the dig? Watch for heavy clay content soil. If it's near the bottom, over dig by a foot and use either sand or 3/8' stone to bring it up. This will help keep it from shifting off level. With a tile line planned, this is all the more important.

Thanks for the note about clay --- I will definitely discuss this with the contractor and will actively monitor this during the dig.

PoolGuyNJ said:
I assume you trucking in water so you can back fill as its filling.

Yep.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Do not let them use dig spoils for back fill. It will leave voids as it settles. Wash in sand or 38" stone is appropriate.

We've discussed this and I know that they will be using stone to back fill.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Put a 3 way valve between the pump and filter. This will allow you to vacuum to waste or lower the water. A hose bib, IMHO, doesn't cut it.

I was thinking that the hose would be useful for adding water back into the pool and also for rinsing things (filters, equipment, etc.) by the pad. Thanks for mentioning the 3-way valve - that makes a ton of sense and I will make sure that we get this included.

PoolGuyNJ said:
A heat pump in our geo will heat the pool but won't really do it for extending the season.

Do you think that the NG heater would extend the season that much more than the HP especially given that we have the auotocover? I'm really on the fence over which type of heater to choose.... tough choice...

PoolGuyNJ said:
LED powered Laminars, while somewhat more costly, really look a LOT nicer than plain deck jets.

Yeah - hard to dispute that, but they seem very costly (e.g. ~ $600/jet = $2,400 total).... < $300 for a set of 4 non-LED jets... do you know of a place to get these cheaper?

PoolGuyNJ said:
Are you using Savi's LEDs?

Yes - these are the LEDs recommended by the contractor.

Thanks,
Jordan

Since the installer is offering a second skimmer as an available option, go for it.

I don't like System 3 cartridge filters. They are a bit of a pain to clean and new elements are expensive.

WRT the coping, your choice, You have a good handle on the concern it seems. Personally, I would do without the blue stone. It might flake.

The dry well is sufficient. The sump is often offered instead. I prefer the dry well. Some will offer to plumb it to the pool pump. Putting the 3 way valve on would let you then dump it from the pad to waste, a very convenient set up.

Hose bibs on the suction side are convenient.

The gas heater will allow you to extend the season. The HP will merely heat the pool in season.

Little spitters never did anything for me. They can't be seen at night though.

Scott

Some 'before' pictures

Making some initial progress... the topographical survey has been finalized and the permits will be submitted to my township tomorrow for approval. I'm posting some 'before' pictures below so that you can see what we are getting into. We live on a corner property and our backyard is basically a triangle shape with the house located at the base of the triangle and the two sides coming to a point in 'center-field'.

The pool is a 41' x 16' rectangle. The 41' length of the pool will be setback 10' from the right-hand fence - right where the current LARGE swing set is. The wood deck and metal fence will both be demolished/removed as part of the project. Per township requirements, we need to build a seepage pit and tie-in our existing downspouts. I am currently planning to put the equipment pad in the deep corner of the yard (behind the deep end of the pool) - I'm not sure if the township will look to enforce a 10' setback for the pad itself.

I'm still not sure what to do with the swing set - part of me wants to get rid of it, but the kids (9 & 5) still use it on occasion.... if we keep it, it will find its way to the left side of the yard. I had hoped to maintain some 'green' area of the yard so that we can still play ball, etc... the presence of the pool and the swing set will make this difficult to accomplish.

Pics of location where pool will be:
pool_sketch.jpg

2011-08-29%252520076.JPG

Our initial inspiration!
2011-08-29%252520077.JPG

Permit Approved!

After a bit of a wait, the township approved our pool permit earlier today. I went to the township building with my contractor to pick it up and to ensure that both of us are clear on the various inspection/approval requirements... My township collects a 20% escrow payment up front which is reimbursed upon final inspection.

The pool is schedule for installation on October 11-12... While we won't be able to swim until next spring, we are very excited.

Re: New Pool - SE Pennsylvania

Some good news and some bad news... The bad news first: Due to the rainy weather up here in the northeast over the past month, our contractor needed to reschedule the install of the pool - he was too far behind on some of his other installs to start our dig as originally scheduled. We are now scheduled to dig/install from the 24th - 26th.

The good news: The pool itself was actually delivered earlier today! Our contractor was here to 'lift' it off of the trailer and place it into the backyard where it will sit for the next 1.5 weeks before the hole is dug. I took some pics as the pool was lifted and relocated that were pretty cool....

Pool on trailer:
2011-10-12%252520434.jpg

Getting ready to be lifted:
2011-10-12%252520444.jpg

Dropped in backyard:
2011-10-12%252520448.jpg

Color looks nice!
2011-10-12%252520466.jpg

I'll take more pics once the hole is dug and the plumbing/pad are installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Looks good. This is a real exciting time. We are just closing our 2nd season with our FB pool. Thanks to the good folks here, we have never had a problem.

Exton, PA here. Was actually thinking of moving to Seattle for better weather. I mentioned in another post, I've probably drained 20 inches of water fom my pool the last 2 months. Good luck.

Day 1!

The excavation which was to begin on Monday was delayed until today --- my contractor was still tied up on another job which took a little longer to complete than anticipated. They showed up today at 8 am, and all I can say is WOW! What an amazing day. The backyard looks like WWIII! Mounds of dirt everywhere, giant construction vehicles all over the place. We have basically taken over the neighborhood as our pool, a 30 yd. dumpster, and a long trailer are parked in front of my, and my 2 neighbors homes.

They pulled the pool out of the backyard for today and brought it back to the curb in front of the house so that they would have enough room to demolish (deck, walkway, shed) and excavate the pool area. Enough talking... here are some pics....

It begins:
2011-10-26%252520062.JPG

Just getting started:
2011-10-26%252520068.JPG

Here goes the old shed:
2011-10-26%252520074.JPG

2011-10-26%252520075.JPG

Deck and patio ripped out:
2011-10-26%252520078.JPG

Relocated swingset, plants we hope survive, and a growing mound of dirt
2011-10-26%252520079.JPG

2011-10-26%252520081.JPG

2011-10-26%252520092.JPG

2011-10-26%252520105.JPG

The night ends with the pool still on the street, the hole basically dug, and a ton of dirt still piled up in the backyard... 2 loads of dirt have already been trucked out --- I'm guessing 2 more will be needed. There are piles, and piles of rock in our driveway waiting to be moved into the pool area. It is supposed to rain tomorrow which will obviously hinder our progress... but, if nothing else, the plan is to get all of the dirt out of the backyard and to get the pool dropped into the hole --- the weather will determine whether or not we are able to fully set the pool.

If you don't mind divulging, could you give me a sense of what the cost is for your project? I am curious because your project seems to have nearly all of the same elements as we were considering for a pool in our backyard in the Chicago suburbs. Was the cost much affected by installing in the fall rather than the spring or was that just your preference? I really appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks much and I'm curious to see the project unfold.

Rob

Days 2 & 3 --- then some SNOW?!?!?!

Been an amazing last three days - it is absolutely amazing to me how quickly this entire process has moved and how much progress has been made. I have nothing but amazing feedback on my PB - he is one of the hardest working, detailed oriented people that I have come across. He has been extremely flexible with me throughout the entire process and has accommodated my every request. The process to date has exceeded every one of my expectations.

DAY2 saw the final grading of the hole, the stone layering, and the eventual movement of the pool from the street to its new home:

PIC of my street on the morning of day 2 -- as you can see, I have basically overtaken the neighborhood AND this pic was taken after the 30 yard dumpster was carted away. My neighbors haven't complained yet, but this process certainly draws a LOT of attention!
Pool%252520install%252520day%2525202%252520010.JPG

Stone has been placed in hole - it is ready for the pool!
Pool%252520install%252520day%2525202%252520005.JPG

One last trip up the driveway:
Pool%252520install%252520day%2525202%252520016.JPG

... into the backyard
Pool%252520install%252520day%2525202%252520031.JPG

Pool%252520install%252520day%2525202%252520038.JPG

and to its 'new' home
Pool%252520install%252520day%2525202%252520067.JPG

Day 2 ended with more dirt removal and re-grading of the backyard. That night, the PB asked me to use my hose to fill the pool ~20%.

DAY 3 -- more fun and a lot more progress:

Water tanker shows up to fill the pool -- we used two loads total which left the pool ~80% filled. We will top it off with the hose once all fittings, skimmers, etc. are installed.

Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520009.JPG

Pool being filled from the street -- note the holes for the returns, jacuzzi jets, LED lights, and skimmers have been cut-in
Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520007.JPG

Digging of 'seepage pit' on side yard -- this is a requirement in my township as part of the permit process. I am required to dig the pit and tie in 3 downspouts from the backyard. I have asked the PB to tie in the 4th downspout in my backyard as well -- this will eliminate any 'extra' water from the yard.

Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520010.JPG

Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520030.JPG

Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520033.JPG

Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520035.JPG

More rock dumped in driveway for filling in pool:
Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520015.JPG

Skimmer installation plus view of 'dry-well' vent
Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520021.JPG

Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520025.JPG

Equipment is here:
Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520011.JPG

Day ends with the completion and filling in of the seepage pit - township inspectors stopped by and approved of the work performed. Again, my PB here did a tremendous job. The skimmers, LED lights, and several of the returns have been installed, but not yet connected to the pad. All equipment is still boxed up and has been relocated to backyard. PB continued to grade the backyard and made some provisions to account for the rain/snow that we got today... more on that in my next post. One more solid day of work, and the 'pool' install portion of this project should be about complete.

Day 4 - Build delayed due to... SNOW??? Hard to believe, but yes, we got hit with about 4 inches of the white stuff. Build will continue/complete on Monday. Some pretty cool pictures though:

Muddy backyard covered with heavy, wet snow
Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520042.JPG

Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520043.JPG

Pool%252520install%252520day%2525203%252520044.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.