Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 10'x10' bubble in the middle of the deep end vinyl pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

10'x10' bubble in the middle of the deep end vinyl pool.

Thought this might be of interest. I apparently have had for some time now a hole somewhere in the bottom of my in ground pool. The result was that the liner floated, like it had a large air pocket. This pocket was about 10 x 10 foot. You could move it around by walking on it but eventually it would return to it's original location. I put on a mask and snorkel but could not find the hole. I finally broke out my dive gear and found the hole in a crease in the deepest part of the pool, about 6'6". I got on line and found a couple of post at different websites but nothing that looked promising. One person suggested greasing up a small plastic tube and pushing it down from the liner top. Well, I bought all the tubing a small pump and a tube of lithium grease...believe me...I tried everything I could but could push the hose no more than about 18" and then the liner would squeeze it so tight that it would go no further.

Then I thought that I would try to take the vacuum hose from the skimmer down and put it over the hole....the hole was about 3/4" and sort of ragged. Sure enough it started to suck out the water from behind the liner. I had a pool patch kit and after the water was gone, I tried to patch the hole, since it was in a big crease it was a no was I disappointed. The liner was looking good, the water was gone but I couldn't patch the hole.

Back on the internet to see if I could find anything that would patch it under water...and this is the reason for the post. I found a product called Flexible Sealer Permanent Bond All Purpose Sealant. The name was Leakmaster by Anderson. Well, I bought two tubes and it comes in white or blue. The directions are pretty straight forward, but in a nut shell when it comes out of the tube it's like a soft blue bubble gum. I reattached the hose and sucked out the water a second time. The with dive gear on I went to work on the hole. You mold it with your finger tips and you can actually fill in the hole, layer it and shape it any way you want. I covered both sides of the crease then filled in the hole. Worked like a charm. That was a week ago, I've since gone down and checked, no leak, no water behind the liner. Hope this helps someone who has a difficult patch to make on a vinyl liner pool.
    Intex 15x36 Easy Set (2,800 g.)
    Intex 16" 2650 gph sand filter/pump combo & SWCG
    Intex 800 gph filter just for the surface skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 10'x10' bubble in the middle of the deep end vinyl pool.

Intersting info and good of you to post it. Bet it will help a few more folks somewhere down the line.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Re: 10'x10' bubble in the middle of the deep end vinyl pool.

Ya' gotta tell us where you found it of course! Congrats on fixing the problem.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!