Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy LX400 - Ignitor Bad (I think)

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy LX400 - Ignitor Bad (I think)

Been a long time since I've posted....So, we just got back from a week away and spent some time in the pool yesterday. I went to turn on the heater for the spa, and found that it won't light. I'm pretty sure that the igniter has gone bad (heater's about 4 years old). I've had this same problem on my house heater, and the igniter is easy to find, pull out, and replace. I know where it is on my Jandy LX400, but can't seem to figure out how to get at it to take a look. The white wires go in to the box through the bottom of the fourth venturi. There are lots of screws that I could try removing, but I don't want to do that unless that's the only way. I've searched high and low for "instructions" on removing and replacing it, but have had no luck. Anybody know how to get at the igniter on a 2007 Jandy LX400?

Thanks!
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy LX400 - Ignitor Bad (I think)

The burner tray has to be slid out. The igniter is in the back and it's electrical lines run under in a shroud on the bottom of the tray.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Scott - thanks. So, I assume that means that I need to remove all the screws from the top bar just above the burners and disconnect the gas valve too in order to slide the burner tray out.
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

4. Back To Top    #4

Find the split nut union on the final piece of 3/4" pipe near the internal gas valve. If the nut is in the heater, this disconnects the gas line so the valve can travel towards you. Turn off the gas to the heater at the nearest point. Disconnect the split nut and the screws (5/16" nut driver works well) on the outer edge of the frame holding the burners in place. I think there are 8, 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. Been a couple months since I swapped one out. Disconnect the wires for the HSI (Hot Surface Igniter). Slide the tray towards you for access to the screw holding the HSI in place. The wires for it will pass through the protective shield in both directions.

Note: Sometimes the split nut is outside the heater's sheathing. That pipe will need to be unthreaded. Before you do that, you will need a toothbrush to clean off the threads and fresh pipe dope, aka Teflon thread sealant for reassembly.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.