Selecting a new Sand Filter for IG pool

Aug 12, 2011
I have a 23K gallon inground pool where the original 28 year old sand filter's laterals are broken. Its a side mount FOXX filter and I can't find replacement parts.

I'm located in Central NJ.

The pump is in good condition 1 1/2 HP.

I want to replace the sand filter with the same since I never had any problems with sand.

I have the following questions:
1. What do people recommend for a replacement sand filter?
2. Top mount or Side Mount?
3. Since I can live with the sand leakage into the pool for awhile, would you replace it this season or at the beginning of next season?
4. Where is a good place to purchase it?

Thanks for any guidance and insight.
Tassocat

The only filter I have experience with is the Hayward S244-T. It's now over 20 years old and still works like new. I had one lateral develop a crack and was getting sand in the pool, but that's the only problem I've ever had. The multi-port valve on top needs to be replaced about every five or ten years, but overall I'm well pleased.

If I were going to buy a new one I would look on-line. I always seem to find much lower prices vs. the local pool stores. Just bought a new booster pump on-line for $216.00 including shipping and the cheapest at any of the local stores for the same pump was $349.00.

I respect Scott's opinion 'cause, after all, he's a "PoolGuy."

However, my experience is a lot like stev32k's. I had a Hayward S-244T that lasted over 20 years. It had a catastrophic failure (blew out a huge split in the middle) and I replaced it with another S-244T. Shopped on-line, found it for a great price, installed it myself in about 2 hours. Overall I, too, am well pleased. YMMV.

Good luck!

PS: Even in NJ I'd replace it this season before closing. Doesn't take very long to get the filter or install it and you have lots of days left before you need to close due to leaves or cold. Cheers!

WRT the 244T, I can't tell you how many center pipes I have seen crack due to their thin walled design. It can crack due to one of three reasons:
1) MPV position change with the pump running
2) Excessive sediment on the sand bed
3) Time.

Pentair at least uses Schedule 40 pipe for this.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.