Converting from bromine to chlorine pucks - any advice?

Yes, now you are catching on to what this forum is all about. Maintaning a trouble free pool.

Chlorine tablets have CYA in them. CYA is a stabalizer that protects chlorine from the sun. Without CYA your chlorine level goes to zero quickly in the mid day sun.

Too much CYA makes the chlorine loose it's effectiveness. You use more and more introducing more CYA until your pool turns to a swamp.

Many people think it is normal to have to periodically drain and refill thier pool but with proper water balance it is not necessary.

Adding plain bleach to your bromine will raise the bromine level.

As for the future to properly manage a chlorine pool you need a good test kit. Test strips will not work. Without a good test kit you will be guessing what your water needs to remain clear and sanitized. Any money spent on a test kit is recouped in chemical cost savings. Your first mission is to obtain a good test kit then we can help you with a chlorine pool. Do you have salt water chlorine generators available in your area?

renohuskerdu said:
1. The chlorine pucks might be dangereus and make heat in with my bromine pucks in the brominateur machine, so I SHOULD NOT PUT THEM IN WITH BROMINE PUCKS.
Better to say it's uncertain, though James's reference is worrying. It might be perfectly safe, but the possibility of a bad result exists. So the safest course of action is to not do so until/unless it's demonstrated safe.

Apologies for any confusion on this matter!

This thread has bounced around a little but some interesting issues have come up so......

Here's what I found on my first google search..

This was taken from the instructions on the Pentair #320 Bromine/Chlorine feeder (note the name....bromine/chlorine)

READ CAREFULLY
This feeder is designed to use only CLEAN Trichlor-s-trizinetrione OR CLEAN Bromine tables - slow dissolving type. Never use dirty tablets. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MIX
Trichlor or Bromine with Calcium Hypochlorite, with other forms of concentrated chlorine or with other chemicals. Keep inside of feeder clean of dirt and debris at all times.
FIRE AND/OR EXPLOSION MAY RESULT

The implication here seems pretty clear.....that tri-chlor and bromine pucks are compatible within the same feeder. I still don't know that for a dead fact but this is a good indicator. I'll do a little more homework later this evening.

BBBliever said:
...As for the future to properly manage a chlorine pool you need a good test kit. Test strips will not work. Without a good test kit you will be guessing what your water needs to remain clear and sanitized. Any money spent on a test kit is recouped in chemical cost savings. Your first mission is to obtain a good test kit then we can help you with a chlorine pool. Do you have salt water chlorine generators available in your area?

I found out the easy way that the fantastic test kit from this forum cannot be shiped or mailed to France. I got a lead here for Palintest but strike out with french distributor: "We've never heard of that kit. How do you spell Palintest?" they said. This is so often what life in France is like when you try to find the good stuff except food and wine. Palintest also give me the name of their german distributor. And I speak some German. But he never answered email.

Maybe somebody here can recommend me another test kit that is good and is sold in France. I will ask about salt water chlorine generateurs next week. Tomorrow I have to kill the moles that are killing our fruit trees.

linen said:
chrisjbaileyuk said:
In fact you may not need to throw away all of your water if you just use the chlorine pucks you have bought and then switch to bleach alone.
If renohuskerdu wants to change from a Bromine pool to a Chlorine pool, I think he might need to do a full drain. See this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/converting-outdoor-pool-from-bromine-to-chlorine-t11507.html

To have a true Chlorine pool in a short period of time maybe, but as the addition of Chlorine just reactivates the bromine already in there, changing water mid season might not be best solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.