Pool Newbie wants to add a timer

Jul 12, 2011
London, ON, Canada
Hey guys. I just got this pool with my house 1 month ago. If it weren't for pool school and all your help, my kids would have been watching me struggle instead of swimming in the pool. Despite my complete ignorance about pools, my pool looks clear and sparkly and works great.

Pump system:
100_0546.jpg

Lower pump is booster for vacuum:
100_0547.jpg

Breaker panel and pool light circuit:
100_0549.jpg

SWG:
100_0548.jpg

I just got my first electricity bill and it's more than double what we used to pay at the old house; I'm wondering if the pool could be partly the culprit. The old owner didn't use CYA and ran the SWG at 90% to keep the FC around 3. Based on pool school, I added CYA and now I run the SWG at 35% to keep the FC around 4. The 3/4 HP pump and (sand) filter run 24/7.

I did a quick search, but I couldn't find a good topic on how to figure out how frequently my water is going through the filter; I thought I read it in pool school but now I can't find it.

Anyway, I was thinking, why don't I run my pump about 40% of the time with the SWG set to about 90%? We don't have time-of-day electricity billing but I suspect it will arrive shortly. I have a bunch of questions though:
1. Will cycling the pump motor (or the pump) shorten it's life significantly? It seems to be self priming.

2. This is the timer I'm planning on.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/outdoor ... mer/980580
Instructions:
http://waterheatertimer.org/pdf/GE-1525 ... ctions.pdf

I know I need to connect both the pump and the SWG to the same timer. The pump is wired for 220 V, but the SWG is on a separate breaker at 110 V, through a GFI receptacle. I can swap jumpers and run the SWG at 220 V and I guess lose the GFI. Or should I wire the timer to handle 220 V and 110 V separately, leaving the SWG on it's own circuit with GFI? You can see from the instructions above that that would mean the timer would only interrupt one side of the 220 V circuit to the pump. Any problems with this?

3. Is it better to run the pump and filter for 35% of every hour or 1-2 longer blocks making up 35% of the 24 hour period?

4. This is my pump. Is there circuitry available to drive it at low speed all the time instead of intermittently to reduce the power draw? Is that even a good idea?
100_0551.jpg

100_0553.jpg

Thanks, Tim

I would switch the swcg to 240 volt and change the pump breaker to a gfci (which it should be anyway) and use the timer you linked to in DPST configuration. While there's nothing wrong with just breaking one side of a 240 volt leg to control the units it's better practice to break both.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.