What the heck are these things?

My father's new pool (to him) has something attached to some of the pipes on the equipment pad that we can't decipher.

pipeclampthingys.jpg

They are the blue plastic things that are clamped on with zip ties. For lack of a better description, they look like ice cube
trays on the inside where they touch the pipes.
These are attached only on the return line - there is a 3rd one less visible in the picture above that is attached below the pool/spa return valve that is on the pool return line.

Anyone have any idea what these are and what their purpose is?

Thanks!

Google GMX pool water softner you will find what you are looking for. Looks like they sell for $400 to $600. IMHO snake oil that is not needed. I would leave then be untill they are in the way and then deep six them.

All you need for good water quality is on this site, cheap, and backed by science.

Thanks - I've been browsing the GMX site. I suspected some sort of magnetic apparatus, as it didn't look like they pierced the pipes.
I still can't find a description on their site of exactly how they work - a clear sign of snake-oil.

It also claims they last 125 years, so I suppose they'll just attached. ;-)

How they work? Simple... they tell you that you will see some benefit, one that you can sort of detect, if you check hard enough and well enough. You try it, and to see if it is doing anything, you monitor things more closely - after all, it's gotta have a money back guarantee, right? In the course of monitoring, you also do a better job of maintaining the water parameters, because you're testing daily and keeping a log, so your chemistry stays consistently better. Wow! This thing actually works! After a while, you accept status quo, go back to not checking and treating your water, and soon, the old problems are back. Oh well, it worked for a while.
This was interesting, though... http://www.csicop.org/si/show/magnetic_ ... m_science/

Look at these claims from the website(http://clearwatergmx.com/fivestarpool.shtml):
After installation, run your spa continuously for the first five to seven days to remove the scale build-up from the heater and other surfaces. You must THEN drain and refill to the proper level and run for at least twenty-four more hours. This will purge the excess minerals from the spa water.

In many circumstances, no chemicals are required to maintain crystal clear water with no scale build-up as long as the pump is run at least two hours per day.

I wonder if chemgeek (or someone) might want to inquire with the industry about the last sentence bold claim of not needed any chemicals. Though maybe they just be refering to chemicals for scale buildup and not for sanitation?

I can't find a scientific description on there site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.