Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I thought bleach was just sodium hypochlorite???

1. Back To Top    #1

Burlington, ON, Canada

I thought bleach was just sodium hypochlorite???

What's all this other stuff in bleach? ... ularbleach

Would I be better off using this instead, which looks like it's only in Canada, eh ... tingliquid

I notice they both have a PH of around 12.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star 1HP (1.85) pump, Hayward sand filter
    Nine Fafco Sunsaver 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: I thought bleach was just sodium hypochlorite???

As described in this post, Clorox Regular bleach is 6% sodium hypochlorite (chlorine), 4.7% sodium chloride salt, about 0.06% excess lye (sodium hydroxide), and a very small amount of sodium polyacrylate. All bleach and chlorinating liquid will have this ratio of sodium hypochlorite to sodium chloride due to the chemistry of the manufacturing process where chlorine gas is added to a solution of sodium hydroxide. The carbonate comes from carbon dioxide in the air.

The only difference between the two bleaches you listed is the small amount of sodium polyacrylate in the Clorox Bleach. It is added primarily as a metal sequestrant of iron and manganese to prevent them from reacting with bleach and yellowing clothes. Since the normal dosage for Clorox bleach is 3/4 cup and a normal wash load is 40 gallons over multiple rinses (so say 20 gallons for the water used with bleach), then that is a 1:427 dilution or around 1400 ppm FC. In pools, the dilution is at least 100 times greater so the effect of the sodium polyacrylate is negligible though it will build up slowly over time possibly sequestering some metal.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"