Above ground pump size

Sep 3, 2007
For those of us who have the "seasonal" above ground pools, I'd like to know a little more on proper sizing of pumps for these types of pools. I have one of those metal frame pools (15' x 42") that came with "everything". But, I don't think that the pump is sufficient for the pool size. Just when I think I have things going well, the water starts to get cloudy, then green and I have to start all over again! I leave the pump running every night for 5 hours, but I just can't keep up with it. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong? You're the expert - do you make house calls? Signed - New guy

For the pump that comes with those, 24/7 operation is the only way it has a chance to keep up. That said, green has little to do with the filter. It's a result of low chlorine levels.

Welcome to TFP!

You want a pump that will move the same number of gallons as are in the pool in somewhere around eight to twelve hours. Many above ground pool kits come with such a pump, or sometimes a larger one, but pair it with a drastically undersized filter. If you tell us which specific pump and filter you have we can give you some more specific advice.

Getting algae is a problem either with low chlorine or high stabilizer. Many chlorine products, notably trichlor and dichlor, contain stabilizer, which reduces the effectiveness of chlorine when the stabilizer level gets too high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.