Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace a TCell 15 with a TCell 3?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace a TCell 15 with a TCell 3?

Need your expertise...

Currently have a 9800 gallon in-ground pool installed July '04 with Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator and a TCell 15

Looks like I have squeezed all the chlorine generation I can with my current TCell 15 and it's time for a replacement -
    Current Diagonstic Displays show -
    Cell Voltage = 30.3
    Cell Current = 0.00
    Desired Output % = 80P
    Instant salinity = -0.00
    Product = AL - 2
    Software revision level = R1.32

The "Check Salt" and "Inspect Cell" lights are on and have walked through possible solutions - but I think the cell is dead...So...trying to correctly size a replacement cell - and since I dont have a 40k gallon pool - Is it possible to use a TCell 3 (up to 15,000 gallons) instead of TCell 15 (up to 40,000 gallons)?

Will a TCell 3 be compatible with the controller/software?

Will there be a noticeable difference in performance...ie...cholorine generation...with the smaller cell?

Appreciate any insights, advice or help you can provide.
    Indiana, 20k gallons, in-ground, vinyl, 1.0hp whisperflow pump, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace a TCell 15 with a TCell 3?

Usually a can do situation but verify it with Hayward first as not all can.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Won't work.
    You need software revision 1.5 or higher to use the low output cells.
    Even if you had this version, you would probably not be happy with a unit that produces 1/3 of the amount of chlorine that your current cell produces.

If funds are the issue, then consider the GLX-CELL-15 which is the same cell as the t-cell-15 but with only a 1 year warranty.

Before you purchase a cell, move the output % to 100% to see if the voltage, current, and instant salinity change.

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

Poolschoolgrad,

Thank you for your response and I had contacted GoldLine tech support and they stated the same as your response. They did off a similar solution by removing a "Jumper Switch" connection on the control board that will make it compatible with a TCell 5 (up 20k gallons).

Found this interesting option on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goldline-Haywar ... 5640e91a65

5. Back To Top    #5

Excellent information as I was not aware that it only required removing a jumper to allow the main board to be compatible with the Aquatrol t-5 cell.

The rebuild service may also be a cost effective solution.
    If you try this service, please post your observations and total replacement time.

thanks

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

6. Back To Top    #6

TCell 15 replacement UPDATE

It's now been 2 years since I replaced my TCell 15 with a refurbished cell I found on Ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goldline-Haywar ... _500wt_922.

So far results have been very, very good. Refurbished TCell 15 is performing as advertised with zero problems since installation. The original TCell lasted almost 6 years and I will post updates on the replacement as warranted.

For the price - you cant beat the refurbished TCell and I highly recommend as I am 2 years in.