HELP! Whisperflo with new motor not running.

Zip196

Aug 21, 2011
Hi, I went through the process of changing the motor on my Whisperflo pump. BIG thanks to TFPJules111 and his instructional. Had a few hiccups, the old motor mount was corroded, shaft seal was married to impeller (had to break it out). Put it all back together as in TFPJules111's guide and everything seemed fine.

Long story short, the pump won't spin. Took it apart and checked everything, put it back together, still won't start. Seems as if the impeller spun itself on tight to the seal plate, I guess. Took it apart again, checked the motor without impeller on and it started right up (dry). Put the impeller on and turned it on and watched the impeller spin itself down tight and stop (again dry). Had to use a strap wrench to free the impeller.
I did replace the shaft seal. it came in plastic wrap from the electric motor shop, no box or model number. It seems the same size as the old one. The only difference is that the old shaft seal has 2 dimples, the new one 3. Being that it is Sunday, the motor shop is closed.

BTW, the motor, old and new is a B852 Centurion 3/4hp uprated.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions! I will be calling the motor shop in the morning.

When you bolted the motor back to the seal plate did you make sure it seated into the boss correctly? If it's just a little out the impeller will bind when screws tighten. There should be no washers between the pump face and the seal plate.

Just tried it all again, Bama. It all seemed tight and straight. Checked it again dry. ran fine without impeller. with impeller on, it seems as if the impeller spins itself tight. Had to use the strap wrench to loosen it.

Could the impeller or the seals be the culprit? The new seal is not exactly the same as the old one. I had to break the ceramic of the old impeller seal to get it out. The new piece seems to be the same.

The cap provides phase shift to help the motor rotate (in the right direction). A motor under no load can often spin up even without that phase, but would likely just hum if loaded. It may not be the problem, but it is way simple to rule out via substitution.

Ohm, will try that.

Bama, yes, sort of. It seems as if the impeller comes in contact with the seal plate when I tighten the impeller all the way down. If I don't make the impeller tight with seal plate, it tightens itself down once the motor started.

I suppose the motor shaft could be shorter, or at least the shoulder length. Can you get (or cut) some shim stock 'washers' to place between the shaft shoulder and the impeller to space the impeller out a few thousandths?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Talked to the motor shop and they seem to be thinking along the lines of what Bama suggested, something in between the motor and seal plate. There was a TON of corrosion from the old motor mounting on the seal plate. Maybe some of it oxidzed onto the bolt mounts in the seal plate. I will check it all again. I will also compare the shaft and shoulder length. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow, silly life, kids, job always getting in the way.

Thanks again fellas and I will post an outcome (hopefully a good one)!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.