Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: heres my results. could use a hand.

1. Back To Top    #1

heres my results. could use a hand.

OK so I finally started running my filter temporarily while waiting for my electric to be installed. I added some bleach last night to bring up the FC level. I have a test kit (the tf100) but decided to bring a water sample to the pool store being I was there getting some other things.
    Heres my results.

FC .2
    Total Chlorine .2
    Combined chlorine 0.0
    PH 7.1
    Hardness 20 ppm
    Alkalinity 0
    Cynauric Acid 10 ppm

I have a bunch of clorox. Can I get buy with buying some borax and baking soda and some type of stabilizer from the pool store to get it to where I need ?
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: heres my results. could use a hand.

Short answer yes. Long answer, do your own testing before adding anything. I find it pretty incredible that you have no TA. Have you added anything to the pool? Was it full when you moved in? What's the story? Because if you filled it yourself, and haven't added any stabilizer, you shouldn't have any CYA.

Seriously. Take ten or fifteen minutes reading the directions in the lid and run your own tests. Then post those results and you will probably get some good advice. There was a thread recently where someone had the water tested at the store, added what they said to add, then ran his own test and got to drain a bunch of water to fix the problems caused by the pool store. I'd search it, but the terms are all extremely common, so it would take hours.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I'm one of those fellas, who in the beginning was mixing both results (PS and mine TF-100).
    What fixed me was STAY away from the store (parts and 10% liquid chlorine only/ NO testing!)
    Posted my TF-100 results here and stayed the course with TFP members recommendations and pool school instructions then my pool did exactly what it was supposed to do!
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

4. Back To Top    #4

ok guys. I added some bleach just now because I know I need that. For a quick swim today can I get aways with just jacking up the chlorine levels to 3 or so ?
    The water looks *relatively* clea but the sides of the liner is a little slimy.
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

The amount of bleach you want to add will depend on the CYA level. Too much relative to the CYA level can be bad for the liner and for people.

Slow down a bit.

You have the two tools you need to know what to do.... Your test kit and the Pool Calculator. They work together.

So, forget what the pool store said. What does your test kit say is in your pool?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.