Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mineral Springs MS-10 Trips Breaker!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Mineral Springs MS-10 Trips Breaker!!!

I have a Mineral Springs MS-10 control box that keeps tripping the circuit breaker. This just started happening. The fuse on the board is fine. There was a mild discoloration on a wire that was touching the ceramic capacitor on the board but it didn't appear to melt through. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) Hayward cartridge filter with Super Pump
    3) Inground
    4) 16 x 32 vinyl liner
    5) Mineral Springs SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mineral Springs MS-10 Trips Breaker!!!

Sounds to be an internal short on the transformer. If you are handy with the multimeter--you can remove the secondary wires that is providing power for the logic board and test there.. This can help determine where the problem is.. I did find the manual here--but it is just the basic one-- http://www.parpool-spa.com/Page/Help/Te ... g-MS10.pdf
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick response. The weather has prevented any further testing (or swimming!) for today but I'll start there. I suspect you may be correct. Does anyone have a source for parts?

On another note, my pool installer had the unit hot wired to be always on yet the manual says it should be connected to a timer so the SWG is only running with the pump. Any comment about that?
    1) 21,000 gallons
    3) Inground
    4) 16 x 32 vinyl liner
    5) Mineral Springs SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like the installer is using the flow switch as an on/off switch for the MS-10 --this can be a bad thing --if the switch fails and tells the unit to produce when there is no flow from the pump.

here is a list of common parts and prices--may not be the best prices --but least it is a start.... http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-659-aq ... parts.aspx
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

5. Back To Top    #5

Once again, thanks for the quick response. First I isolated the transformer and the breaker still tripped. Then I completely disconnected the panel and got the same results. I concluded it's a ground fault somewhere in the circuit. I tapped into another 110v GFI circuit going into the panel and the SWG is once again working. Looks like I dodged a bullet this time around. (I didn't like those part prices!!!)

So with "no flow" the SWG turns itself off automatically? My next project will be to connect a timer to generator
    1) 21,000 gallons
    3) Inground
    4) 16 x 32 vinyl liner
    5) Mineral Springs SWG