Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Evaporation

1. Back To Top    #1

Evaporation

How much evaporation could I expect in the heat of the summer in one weeks time?
    24' Round 13500 AG
    22" Sand Filter
    1 1/2 HP Waterway
    BBB
    TF Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Evaporation

It can really vary so it is hard to say. I would say a normal per day is .5 inches, maybe 1 pending how hot and humid we are talking about. That is what I lose per day and nothing over night. It has been 100+ temps here in Houston area and feels like around 110-115.

It is so hot here I have a koi pond that gets no light at all and loses water at a very slow pace.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

W-a-a-a-a-ay too many factors to answer...........humidity, winds, etc.

If it helps, I seem to lose about an inch a week or so.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Due to a total lack of rain and EXTREME temps in Texas..........the ground itself is so hot that I think my pool is evaporating from the bottom into the ground as well as from the top into the air.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

mynewpool,

If you are losing .5 - 1" daily, I would suspect a leak regardless of heat/humidity.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    mynewpool,

If you are losing .5 - 1" daily, I would suspect a leak regardless of heat/humidity.
    Maybe not that much as I dont get out and actually measure it. I would say maybe 1 inch every 4-5 days or so.

Edit: It is also hard for me to tell as my dog when she is outside she loves to takes dips all the time. So splash out proably has something to do with it and her getting in and out a lot. I have done the overnight and lose nothing.

I also have a koi pond that is losing water as well and it is not exposed to sun at all, in complete shade and loses water.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

I lose about 1/4" - 3/8" per day depending mostly on wind speed. In my case that is about 125 - 185 gallons/day (20' X 40' surface area). If you want to know more or go though the calculations here is a link that will help: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/evapo ... d_690.html
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

8. Back To Top    #8

Evaporation

Do the bucket test. Set a 5 gal bucket of pool water out next to pool. See if evaporate rate of bucket is similar to pool.
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    mynewpool,

Maybe not that much as I dont get out and actually measure it. I would say maybe 1 inch every 4-5 days or so.

Edit: It is also hard for me to tell as my dog when she is outside she loves to takes dips all the time. So splash out proably has something to do with it and her getting in and out a lot. I have done the overnight and lose nothing.

I also have a koi pond that is losing water as well and it is not exposed to sun at all, in complete shade and loses water.
    I was losing about 1.5 inches a day due to a backwash line leaking. This past week temps hit 100 and I lost about 1" in 3 days. I live in Northern Alabama. About 3 hrs from Atlanta so I imagine our climate should be the same. I believe I might have another leak though somewhere. I'm going to do a bucket test.....again. Supposed to rain though the next few days.

Temps the last three days were 96 (Thur), 97 (Fri), 98 (Sat).
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by wall0740
    How much evaporation could I expect in the heat of the summer in one weeks time?
    Well with our humidity, I may actually gain water lol.

But I usually turn the hose on once a week for about 15-20 mins and I'm back to normal. So probably 1/4" loss everyday. Not too bad at all really.