Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oval Pool Stresses

1. Back To Top    #1

Oval Pool Stresses

Anyone here have an idea how much actual weight the strut patio block takes on a typical 15 x 30 buttress pool?

Great site, just joined...looking around, lots of good information here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oval Pool Stresses

The only reason I can think of for you asking that question is that you are considering leaving them out if the pool isn't erected yet. Please tell me I'm wrong! Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I gotta ask why, too?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

No way!....Just curious, I just figured there are 50+ tons of water in the pool and the brackets don't seem anywhere enough to support the weight... Just hoped someone understood the math that's all..

5. Back To Top    #5

The supports are not taking all the weight of the water, the wall is containing the water and taking the strain, the supports are preventing the wall from trying to form a circle which is what the water wants to do.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

6. Back To Top    #6

The supports only support the weight of the parts attached to it and whetever 'stretch' the liner has to have to sit on the bottom. It's hard to say how much that is because of the variances in making the liners.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Well I installed my pool on a mucho slope. From the back porch it went almost straight down so we dug out and put in a rail road type retaining wall(5ft tall). Even with the extra dirt we needed 20 full truck loads of dirt for the pad. So we ended up with a small foot print to place the pool. The buttresses made this a little too tight so we ended up shortening the length of 2 of them by 12 inches, and mounting them directly against the retaining wall. So far so good. I did not really want to bring in 7-10 more trucks of dirt for 12 inches of pa so we rolled the dice on shortening the buttresses. I'm sure some will tell me how stupid that was but it's too late now.

8. Back To Top    #8

The best solution is to avoid oval pools. Period.
    27 foot AG, CYA producing in-line Pent-Air Chlorinator.

9. Back To Top    #9

Durf-I had a similar narrow area to install. Been full of water for 2 weeks and I notice some settling of the struts.
    I wonder if anyone has ever "shimmed" the struts back to square rather than disassembling everything to re level the blocks

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Sulteric
    That is so an untrue statement you just made!
    They have been around for years and will continue to be made and sold.
    Yes a circle contains the forces better than an oval but they do not need to be avoided!
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

11. Back To Top    #11

When my two boys were young I had a 12x24 oval pool installed had a nice deck built along the straight side we even put a small trampoline on the deck the boys used to jump from the bench onto the trampoline into the water well as you can imagine the sides of the pool started to spread. that was the end of jumping into the pool or so I thought. I took a 2x4 and a bottle jack and very carefully jacked at an angle the posts back past level placing another block on top of original block and released the jack in some places only needed 3/4 of an inch so used treated 1x6 cut to fit block just be careful to have jack and 2x4 lined up straight and at an angle so you can raise the outrigger to clear your pad and first dig around it so you do not have to take very long slipping the additional block into place, do not have any idea how long the supports can take that extra push from the jack at that angle but over 4 years I jacked it back into place 3 times it is pretty tough to stop all jumping into the pool but as the boys got older we would just sit on the edge and slither into the pool.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysnok
    That is so an untrue statement you just made!
    They have been around for years and will continue to be made and sold.
    Yes a circle contains the forces better than an oval but they do not need to be avoided!

Some people simply don't have room for a large pool and oval pools fit their lifestyles. My cousin just had one installed n it looks fabulous! She had an 18ft round. Now, she has an 18x33!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry........ain't takin' mine down! Rectangular backyard equals oval pool.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!