Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need pump HP recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Need pump HP recommendation

Been looking a bit and really confused now. I have a 12x24x52" oval pool with a cl-900 filter. the waterway 1HP 2 SP pump I have is going out anf making a lot of noise. (only 2yrs old and dead) Looking for a HP recommendation. I wanted to get a lower HP but not sure on 3/4 or 1/2. about 8500 gal pool.

Also, looking at a hayward power flow 1/2hp SF1 and a 3/4hp SF1? Would one of these work better?

Thanks.
    12x24 AGP, 10k, 1 hp 2 speed Waterway pump, Hayward C900 Cartridge filter, Polaris 65, maintained by Walmart's 6% Bleach.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need pump HP recommendation

Either one of 1/2 or 3/4 horsepower will work for that pool, I'd try to find a 2 speed (probably only possible on the 3/4 HP model).
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Well if it helps any, I have a 1/2 HP for 20k pool but it is a IG pump. For a 8500 gallon pool, any pump will provide a turnover of less than 8 hours. However, what ever pump you choose, I would get a two speed and I don't think the PowerFlo series comes in a two speed.

Why not just replace the motor of your current pump? If you run on low speed most of the time, it won't really matter much the HP of the pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Well if it helps any, I have a 1/2 HP for 20k pool but it is a IG pump. For a 8500 gallon pool, any pump will provide a turnover of less than 8 hours. However, what ever pump you choose, I would get a two speed and I don't think the PowerFlo series comes in a two speed.

Why not just replace the motor of your current pump? If you run on low speed most of the time, it won't really matter much the HP of the pump.
    I thought about replacing it, but have had so many issues with it, I would hate to invest anymore in this brand.
    12x24 AGP, 10k, 1 hp 2 speed Waterway pump, Hayward C900 Cartridge filter, Polaris 65, maintained by Walmart's 6% Bleach.

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to know the recommended flow rate for your filter and choose a pump that can supply that amount with enough head pressure to get the water though the filter and back to the pool. One way of determining the minimum size pump is to call the filter manufacturer and ask them. They may want to know your pipe sizes and distance to and from the pump to pool, but you can estimate the distances by stepping it off and measure your lines or look on the fittings - the size may be marked.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

6. Back To Top    #6

It isn't necessary to go through all that trouble. With only a 8500 gallon pool, your need less than 20 GPM for an 8 hour turnover. So the smallest pumps on the market will produce much more than that on typical AG plumbing.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater