how long can pebble tec be exposed to the sun when pool empt

Mar 30, 2011
Tempe/AZ
I have a house i'm trying to sell and the pool is not being used. The house is vacant and it's about 20 miles from where I live. I also live in the arizona desert just an fyi. I am wanting to drain the pool and keep it drained until the house goes into escrow. It's a liability keeping the pool full of water as some kids could jump the fence and get in the pool. If they were to get hurt or drown i'm responsible. Im also spending a ton of money on chemicals and electricity to run the pump.

So i'm hoping I can drain the pool and keep it drained. Will the pebble interior crack due to the sunlight or will it be fine exposed to the hot 105 weather?

Please let me know how long i can go with the pebble tec exposed. I have actual pebble sheen not an off brand of pebble.

Re: how long can pebble tec be exposed to the sun when pool

I don't think sunlight is the problem; it's primarily cement and rocks! :mrgreen:

But I don't think letting it dry out is a good idea. If the under layers are wet and things get hot and dry, I could see the surface getting "delaminated".(For lack of vocabulary) And that would really be ugly.

Keeping the pool drained is not good for the plaster. Also, I think that it would be easier to sell the house if the pool is full and looks good. An empty pool is a major red flag to people, and they would normally consider it to be a huge negative.

Thanks for all your feedback. I've got the pool empty and will keep it that way until the house goes into escrow, then I will fill it up prior to inspection so the inspector can see the pump works and the pool holds water.

@daddybug - which would you rather have, a kid falling into an empty pool and breaking his neck or a kid falling into a full pool and drowning to death? It's a lose lose situation either way, i'll take my chances with an empty pool.
@JamesW - The pools interior is pebble tec not plaster and the house is already sold. We accepted and signed a sales contract back in May. Since it's a short sale we are just waiting on the bank to approve it so we can move forward into escrow and close the house. Hopefully the deal will be done by the end of the year.

Matrix311 said:
@JamesW - The pools interior is pebble tec not plaster and the house is already sold. We accepted and signed a sales contract back in May. Since it's a short sale we are just waiting on the bank to approve it so we can move forward into escrow and close the house. Hopefully the deal will be done by the end of the year.
Pebble Tec can still be damaged by being exposed. In addition, there might be some risk of hydrostatic pressure causing the pool to float.

JamesW said:
Matrix311 said:
Pebble Tec can still be damaged by being exposed. In addition, there might be some risk of hydrostatic pressure causing the pool to float.

Thanks for the warning. I'm going to take the risk and keep the pool empty and exposed. If something happens it's on the new owners dime to repair it. The home is being sold as is.

Pull the hydrostatic relief plugs, if there are any.

If the pool breaks before you go to close, it's on you and your buyer can walk. Buyers are hard to come by.

Why not just cover it with a tarp and water bags instead of emptying it?

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
Pull the hydrostatic relief plugs, if there are any.

If the pool breaks before you go to close, it's on you and your buyer can walk. Buyers are hard to come by.

Why not just cover it with a tarp and water bags instead of emptying it?

Scott

Where would I find the hydrostatic relief plug? Is it near the pump area?

As far as buyers are concerned, I had my house on the market for 5 days and received 6 offers on it. We took the cash offer which was our 6th offer. If this buyer walks we have plenty of backup offers to go to. Luckily we have a nice house for dirt cheap which attracks a ton of buyers!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

PoolGuyNJ said:
Hydrostatics are in the pool bottom or in the drains.

I really wish you would reconsider and use a cheap tarp and water bags over draining it.

Scott

I dont see why it would be an issue leaving the pebble exposed? I have a lot of friends pools here in Arizona that have pebble tec going all the way up the sidewall and it turns into curbing along the edge of the pool. There is no waterline tile there and the pebble is exposed. I have several friends who's pools are fairly old and the pebble has been exposed for years and its not cracking. Either way the pool is empty and I will not be filling it back up until a few days before inspection comes out to look at the house during escrow. I dont want to have a liability sitting there with a full pool of water and some punk kid jump the fence to get in and drown. Plus i'm tired of spending nearly $90 a month on electricity there to run the pool pump daily. That alone will be nice savings. Thanks for all your help everyone!

I bought a few foreclosed homes in Surprise AZ and I looked at hundreds of empty homes with empty pools (almost all were pebbletech) and many in my neighborhood sat empty almost 2 years including many 115 degree days. My pool wasn't empty but all 3 adjacent neighbors homes were bought (for a bargain) with long empty pebbletech pools. All 3 pools had no problems with the pebbletech but some were missing pumps / filters and needed other types of service to be up an running. Ground water is non existent so unless your located in a wash during a monsoon I can't imagine your going to float a pool. Houses are selling so cheap (far below the cost to build or replace) that buyers don't care if they do have to fix a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.