Choosing a pump

CARSON

Mar 29, 2011
Hello everyone. I will be building a pool soon and need to choose the right pump. The pool will be a sport pool, 3' deep on the ends and 5' deep in the center, about 14,000 gallons. There will be an oval shapped spill over spa 8' by 6'6" (not sure how many gallons), I want plenty of jets. I will have a small waterfall and a suction side cleaner(no trees in the pool area). The filter will be a 60 sq ft DE (desigh flow rate is 120 gpm). The heater will be 400k BTU. I am leaning toward the Jandy E 2 HP pump, it is variable speed (this pump has a 3" suction port). I like the idea of having only one pump if it will work properly. The plumbing will be a combination of 3", 2.5" and 2" with two skimmers. I will use a SWG. The equipment pad will be about the same elevation as the pool and only about 80' from the farthest end of the pool, the spa will be about 60' away at most.

Will this pump operate all of the functions of my pool and spa? How many jets should I put in the spa?

If not, would two pumps be the way to go? Which pump or pumps are recommended?

I will set up my signature when I have all of the details for my pool. I appreciate all recommendations and comments.

Thank you for reading my post.

Will this pump operate all of the functions of my pool and spa? How many jets should I put in the spa?
With only a single 2 HP, I would not put in more than 8.

If not, would two pumps be the way to go? Which pump or pumps are recommended?
I would use a separate jet pump or two so that you are not running high flow rate through the filter. The circulation can be handled with a couple of eyeballs at the bottom of the spa. By having the jets on a separate loop without a lot of pad equipment head loss, the jets will work much better and you might be able to have a couple more.

Knowing that the spa requires the most flow, would bypassing the filter when using it be a good idea. This would result in less head loss and therefore more flow to the spa. I am thinking about trying it with this one pump at first, I can always add another pump later if the performance of the spa is unsatisfactory with the E pump. If the expected result of this one pump is way below par, I will go with a different setup. Thanks again.

Just make sure that you plumb the spa for two pumps in case you want to that route later. The plumbing is slightly different where you will need separate returns for the pool filter pump vs the spa jets. These can be stubbed out until needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.