Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Handrail pipe stubs

1. Back To Top    #1

Handrail pipe stubs

I recently had my concrete deck pour completed. The bronze handrail fittings were placed pre-pour, and PVC pipe was inserted into these 2 connectors. The problem I am having involves trying to remove the pipe from the bronze connectors. Is there any magic trick to getting the pipe out of the bronze connectors so I can install my handrail? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Handrail pipe stubs

Have you loosened the wedges that slide up and down in those fittings?
    22,000 Gal, in-ground ,vinyl. Pentair Intelliflo VS, Clean&Clear 420 cartridge, Hayward NG 300K heater, Polaris, EasyTouch,IC-40, (former Baquacil - converted to SWCG)

3. Back To Top    #3

I took stainless bolts out, but I haven't done anything else.

4. Back To Top    #4

Normally you do not have to remove the bolts completely, just loosen them so the wedges slip down. You might want to try rethreading the bolts back into the wedges a bit and then tap them with a hammer. Not too hard though...you just want to get thewdeges to slide down. Also recognize these suggestions are coming from a novice pool owner. You might want to wait for one of the pros to read your post and offer some professional opinion.
    22,000 Gal, in-ground ,vinyl. Pentair Intelliflo VS, Clean&Clear 420 cartridge, Hayward NG 300K heater, Polaris, EasyTouch,IC-40, (former Baquacil - converted to SWCG)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks man. I drove the wedges down and the pipe came right out. Appreciate it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!

How recently was the deck poured? You shouldn't install the handrail until the deck has fully cured (~28 days) you don't want to stress the new crete by having someone apply force to the rail before then - though this is a bigger problem with ladders.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)