Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: glacier pool cooler with 1.5" pipe, or heat pump with cooler

1. Back To Top    #1

glacier pool cooler with 1.5" pipe, or heat pump with cooler

Was thinking of getting a Glacier Pool Cooler to cool my pool as Houston summers make the water so warm. Tried the fountain route but didn't work well enough.

The company says that the piping has should be 2" from pool to equipment or there may be "balancing problems". I only have 1.5" from pool to equipment. Anyone else try this with 1.5" pipe? Did you run into issues?

I guess the other option is a heat pump with cooling mode, but I haven't found much info on this cooling option in terms of effectiveness and efficiency. Supposedly the Glacier Pool Cooler costs about $1 per day, but not sure how much the heat pump to cool the pool would cost. Anyone know? Thanks!
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: glacier pool cooler with 1.5" pipe, or heat pump with co

Think another air conditioner. That's essentially what they are. Depending on the size, the larger are like 7 ton heat pumps
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: glacier pool cooler with 1.5" pipe, or heat pump with co

But boy do they work.

It's not as bad as you think though, you are only maintaining at at 85 to 88 deg f. Not like your house at 72.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here