Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic acid is nasty

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic acid is nasty

Finally tracked muriatic acid down at Lowes as Home Depot doesn't carry the regular stuff anymore. Looks like it costs about half what an equivalent dose of Low n Slo costs at the pool store.

And having added some, man is that stuff nasty. Surprised the fumes didn't kill me right there. So what are the proper precautions for handling it safely? Gloves, goggles, and do I need a respirator?

Is it best to slowly pour it in over a return, or broadcast it about the perimeter of the pool?

Honestly, it feels like Lo n Slo is a lot safer to handle, and worth the price premium.
    18000 gallon plaster
    Pentair Triton II sand filter, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 300 gas heater, 1.0 HP two-speed Pentair Superflo, Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic acid is nasty

I've only begun to use muriatic acid this year. Yes, it's pretty nasty. I check to see which say the wind is blowing and try to stay out of the path of the fumes. Use a plastic measuring cup, not metal. I ALWAYS wear safety glasses. I have stopped wearing gloves. I S-L-O-W-L-Y pour over a return. I doubt I'll ever go back to using the granular pH down due to cost and ease of use. The granular products dissolved slowly and would require brushing thruout the day to dissolve.
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Adding the acid is always my most dreaded task! In fact I have to add some today and I am not looking forward to it! I wear gloves and safety glasses and pour slowly infront of my return.
    17K gal, AG, Hayward Sandfilter, new to the BBB method.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

It's all about what you are used to and using common sense application methods. I never take it out of it's original container and have never splashed a drop that I am aware of.

After calculating my dosage, I kneel behind a return and, unless the wind is blowing in my face, remove the cap. I then let the whole jug submerge almost underwater thereby removing the weight of the jug and getting the opening within a couple of inches of the water surface.

I then simply tilt the jug and the rough amount of my dosage goes into the pool without a splash.

This may not work particularly well on a very small pool as the dosing needs to be more precise. Anything over 5000 gallons should be fine, though.

I am not encouraging anyone to do this if you are not comfortable but it has become routine for me and very quick.

When I tried pouring a precise amount into a measuring cup and then into the pool, I got "fumed" more than once.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Soupy, here is a thread on TFP I read occasionally to reinforce good habits. Sometimes I catch myself getting sort of cavalier about working with all these chemicals - a good reminder they can do damage if not respected.

POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

6. Back To Top    #6

Not to me...plain old 31.4, just use caution and care when dosing and measuring.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

7. Back To Top    #7

San Rafael, CA USA

If you can find the half-strength (15-16%) version, it fumes a lot less. Just make sure it's about half the price for the same volume -- some places try to be sneaky and sell it for the same price as full-strength (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"