Muriatic acid is nasty

Soupy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Maryland
Finally tracked muriatic acid down at Lowes as Home Depot doesn't carry the regular stuff anymore. Looks like it costs about half what an equivalent dose of Low n Slo costs at the pool store.

And having added some, man is that stuff nasty. Surprised the fumes didn't kill me right there. So what are the proper precautions for handling it safely? Gloves, goggles, and do I need a respirator?

Is it best to slowly pour it in over a return, or broadcast it about the perimeter of the pool?

Honestly, it feels like Lo n Slo is a lot safer to handle, and worth the price premium.

I've only begun to use muriatic acid this year. Yes, it's pretty nasty. I check to see which say the wind is blowing and try to stay out of the path of the fumes. Use a plastic measuring cup, not metal. I ALWAYS wear safety glasses. I have stopped wearing gloves. I S-L-O-W-L-Y pour over a return. I doubt I'll ever go back to using the granular pH down due to cost and ease of use. The granular products dissolved slowly and would require brushing thruout the day to dissolve.

It's all about what you are used to and using common sense application methods. I never take it out of it's original container and have never splashed a drop that I am aware of.

After calculating my dosage, I kneel behind a return and, unless the wind is blowing in my face, remove the cap. I then let the whole jug submerge almost underwater thereby removing the weight of the jug and getting the opening within a couple of inches of the water surface.

I then simply tilt the jug and the rough amount of my dosage goes into the pool without a splash.

This may not work particularly well on a very small pool as the dosing needs to be more precise. Anything over 5000 gallons should be fine, though.

I am not encouraging anyone to do this if you are not comfortable but it has become routine for me and very quick.

When I tried pouring a precise amount into a measuring cup and then into the pool, I got "fumed" more than once.

If you can find the half-strength (15-16%) version, it fumes a lot less. Just make sure it's about half the price for the same volume -- some places try to be sneaky and sell it for the same price as full-strength (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.