Just getting my feet wet!

Aug 19, 2011
Just completed my inground pool! I was able to do the entire installation myself with the help of friends and family willing to sweat it out!

28000 gallon True L 40X32X16
Hayward 1-1/2 pump
Hayward SWG
Hayward 244 Sand Filter
3 Skimmers
2 bottom drains
4 returns

Just confirmed my own water test from Taylor k-6000 with the Leslie pools here in town to see if I was close:
FC 2.5
PH 7.6
TA 80
CYA 10 (i just added 10 lbs tonight after backwashing)
CH 125( not to concerned as I have a vinyl liner)
TDS 2000
Salt 3400

After reading the post "water balance for SWG" it looks like i need to get CYA to 70? I have never seen recommends this high and was wondering what effects this will have on PH or other parts of the pool?

I was also confused on how you would shock a SWG pool if you follow the BBB method? I assume some huge amounts of bleach? I hope this is not needed...but I dont want to be scrambling either.

Thanks for any advice!

Robert

Hi Robert, welcome to TFP! If you ever find you need to shock the pool then yes you would want to use bleach instead of your SWG. That will save wear and tear on the SWG. We would love to see a picture of your new pool! Enjoy!

Sounds good ... looks like you dosed your CYA to 53ppm (10ppm to start, and an additional 43ppm) as I see it using the http://www.poolcalculator.com for 28,000 gallon pool.
Here's my 2 cents (maybe only worth 1) ...
1) Be sure you have "troublefreepool.com" chosen under the dropdown in the "Suggested Goal Levels" section.
2) Be sure to have 28,00 gallons listed under "Size"
3) Be sure to put your CYA as 53ppm in the "Now" column for CYA
4) Now you can see your "range" (in relation to CYA) for your FC level
5) Double and Triple check ALL numbers and fields !!!
6) Dose your pool either to your maximum "target" or 1ppm or so above it about an hour before sunset for the next day usage. (forgot you have SWG, so "dose" your pool accordingly with the turn of a dial)

If you know your usage for the next day will be high (ex- the three H's (hazy, hot, humid), a lot of people swimming, or other factors) you may want to "dose" your pool 2-3ppm above your "maximum" target level to account for the chlorine demand (i.e. - turn up your SWG or adjunct it with liquid chlorine). Whatever you do, try not to let your pool EVER go below the "minimum" target level (in relation to CYA)as this will only invite uninvited guests to your pool and party :-(

As for pH, TA, CH, and the like ... I am sure a more knowledgeable person will chime in here.

Good luck with that pool .... one day you will catch sparklypoolitis !!!!

zea3 said:
Hi Robert, welcome to TFP! If you ever find you need to shock the pool then yes you would want to use bleach instead of your SWG. That will save wear and tear on the SWG. We would love to see a picture of your new pool! Enjoy!
Thanks, here is a pic that shows where I am...lots of landscape to do!

Attachments

• IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 129
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.