Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: closing

1. Back To Top    #1

closing

What numbers should I aim for when closing the pool?
    17K gal, AG, Hayward Sandfilter, new to the BBB method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: closing

Here are the instructions for closing an above ground pool. Keep in mind that if you close your pool before the water temperature stays below 60 degrees you may still have an algae bloom when you open the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I read the directions just not sure about the ph, but I suppose if it is within the range it is ok. Good to know about the temp. I had not thought about that. It is chilly, around 75. Too cold for me but the kids don't mind.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by randadawn77
    What numbers should I aim for when closing the pool?

Closing.......guess that is going to be a more frequently used word around here.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Just finished brushing and cleaning the pool. The water temp is 78, but it feels 60 to me. brrrrr

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, I like it at 85 a whole lot better. Where is Frog on this one? She swims in ice water all the time.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

My area is under stage 2 water restrictions, which include no topping off the pool. I am using my vacuum to draw water from the bottom of the pool. I set it up last week before the water level got too low. If I were to take it off now I would not be able to run the pump. Really need some rain around here.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Heh - in MA, we're lucky to get up to 75. 85 is just crazy talk.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Closing???

Already? wow...

Summer just started :~}

If I had any sense I would have left it closed till last week. But then y'all would have missed out on all my self imposed pool drama.

It CAN be warm through September around here but that's unusual. I'll close a few weeks after school starts if the sun sticks around. They will come home after school and swim for an hour if the sun is out, regardless of temp.

Are y'all closing because the pool isn't getting used or are you just sick of messing with it? If I had a heated pool I'm pretty sure I'd leave it open year round. There's a pool at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. I swam there as a kid in in a snowstorm, it was totally awesome.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

10. Back To Top    #10

Northern Ontario, my AGP was 68 this morning, our nights are just getting too cold and are out weighing the day time heat into the pool.
    Ordering a winter cover at the end of the week and I'm going to hold out hope for a nice Sept rush of heat, otherwise its getting closed down soon.
    I'll need to get a solar heater next year.......honestly, I can't even remember what occupied our family time before getting the pool up this summer, all our free time was spent by the pool......best summer ever!!!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    Where is Frog on this one? She swims in ice water all the time.
    Frog does not swim, but her tadpoles do...
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.