Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to Build

1. Back To Top    #1

Frisco, Texas

When to Build

Just wondering if there are any financial benefits to building a pool in the late fall or winter (I live in the Dallas area)? Will the builders provide deeper discounts compared to building now? Any issues with building during fall or winter I need to be aware of?
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

2. Back To Top    #2

Riverside, CA

Re: When to Build

My PB gave us a $5,000 discount to sign before the end of the year.

I always assumed they would offer a bigger discount when they were out of work to do
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: When to Build

In the 'less temperate' climes, there is often a discount for having the pool installed in the fall. They do this to keep their building season longer.

The problem is that the new pool owner gets the pool installed and then immediately covered and can't see any issues until the next spring. There is also the 'issue' of having a winter on your new pool before you ever get to enjoy it (though a properly winterized pool doesn't suffer too much, and you saved a bunch $$ to get it done in the fall)

In short, I'd say "Go for it!", but make sure that your contract says that they will fix anything you find wrong after a month+ of using it1
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)