shocking pool

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Hi, I havent shocked our pool all summer except doing it once after getting it installed....is that okay? I've kept the chemicals in check. the water has looked great all summer!!!

A few more things I wanted to make sure of:
this last week the pH is at 7.8 is that okay or do I need to lower it?

TA 70 (it's been this number all summer)

CH 110 (do I even need to check this since I have a vinyl pool?)

Thanks in advance

It's normal for most of us to not shock. Probably wouldn't hurt to nudge your pH a few tenths lower, but nothing critical. No worries about your CH either.

Sounds like you are doing great!

I'm in the same boat as you. When I bought my house there was a lapse from when the previous owner stopped his pool service and when I moved in. I had to shock for a bit. But since then, its been great and no need to shock.

pH, if were me, I'd nudge it down, shoot for 7.5, that way if over shoot, you'll be at like 7.3-7.4 if you under shoot your at 7.6-7.7. 7.8 is acceptable, but at the upper range. higher is too high.

TA, its great! Its in the recommended range. I wouldn't mess with it unless your having pH problems.

CH yea, for vinyl is not as important. Just keep it over 50 and under the max to prevent scaling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.