Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Bid - wow

1. Back To Top    #1

1st Bid - wow

So, I got my first bid (in Salt Lake City, UT) and was expecting it to be around $50k - you guys are the experts, seem right?

It came in right at $68k with the following:

Gunite Swimming Pool - 20x40 Rectangle 3.5 to 9 in depth
    1 1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo Pump
    520 sq ft Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    400k BTU Pentair Mastertemp Heater
    In-Line Erosion Chlorinator
    Time Clock
    6" Perimeter Tile (Owner will choose color, $7/sq ft allowance)
    Swim out bench or recessed steps
    two 500 watt swimming pool lights
    one surface skimmer, two main drains (anti-entrapment)
    18" colored concrete coping edge
    coverstar automatic safety pool cover
    8 ft. diving board
    electrical, gas and water line hook-ups & equipment pad area
    3 months of weekly maintenance "free"

I am not sure of the 9' and diving board, reduced the bid by <$5,800> to go to 5' deep end no pool

There is also a list of upgrades listed at the bottom.

Still surprised by the $68k, but could be my ignorance on pool costs. This does not include anytype of pad around the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st Bid - wow

Here are some of the upgrades:

Concrete walk on automated cover lid - 2,600
    "CAT" automated chlorine and acid feeder - 4,300
    ozone purification system - 2,350
    salt water purification system - 2,000
    navigator automatic pool vacuum - 2,000
    quick clean max in floor cleaning system - 6,230
    LED light upgrade - 1,000
    standard fiberglass slide - 2,400
    6'x10' enlarged second step w/ umbrella anchor - 1,200
    change the color of plaster to medium gray - 4,800
    change the finish of the pool to pebble finish - 10,400
    wild ride pool slide - 3,000
    x-stream pool slide - 3,800
    g-force pool slide - 5,400
    turbo twist pool slide - 4,800
    automated ph controlled salt system - 4,500
    upgrade to intelliflo energy efficient pump - 1,200
    to add 1 foot in length of pool - 700
    to add 1 foot in width to pool 1,400

This could be standard pricing against retail price?

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd steer clear of their upgrades. They are either worthless or drastically overpriced.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

What's the liner? Pebbletec, plain plaster, etc?

With a 20' X 40' Pool with all the stuff you have listed it doesn't sound that out of line.

Don't be afraid to get a bunch of quotes.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I googled 'turbo twist pool slide' and from what I saw they are generally priced well below what you were quoted, probably worth doing that for all your components.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    What's the liner? Pebbletec, plain plaster, etc?

With a 20' X 40' Pool with all the stuff you have listed it doesn't sound that out of line.

Don't be afraid to get a bunch of quotes.
    plain plaster - I am having 3 other companies quote - started that process today

7. Back To Top    #7

It seems a little high for plain plaster.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Couple of things, I'd do different. Just a few suggestions for your consideration.
    I'd drop the In-Line Erosion Chlorinator, if you want to automate chlorination you might want to consider and SWG instead. Some SWG's can double as a timer.
    Ask for a 2-speed pump, for energy savings, you won't need to run that thing at the full 1 1/2hp to filter your pool.
    Consider a 2nd skimmer, unless you know the one is in a perfect spot (down wind where debris would collect naturally)
    If its not already specified ask for 2" plumbing.

(this one is really subjective and a matter of personality)
    Personally, I'd drop the diving board. I found I never use mine and am thinking of removing it. My deep end is about 8-9 feet. If I were to have one built now, I'm not so sure I'd go that deep again. Besides you said it can save you money by not being as deep.
    If you still want to jump in to a deep end, go for a diving rock or something similar that will fit you outdoor decor. Really depends on how important it is for you to have a deep end.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    It seems a little high for plain plaster.
    I was thinking the same thing, another $10k for colored pebble finish?

10. Back To Top    #10

If I had to do my pool over again it would be a little smaller, maybe 16x32 and I would not have a deep end. The diving board is never used and the only one that swims around in the deep end is me. 5' is plenty deep!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

My kids and I love the diving board at my SILs pool. $68K seems a bit steep for plain plaster, but not sure about prices in Salt Lake or your property....unlevel, rock, etc. On a pool that large, you want at least 2 if not 3 surface skimmers and the quote should be a lot more detailed, with specific equipment to be used...eg 2" hard PVC pipe, 2 speed pump, does it include permit costs...etc

The quote is not outrageous, but with no decking included, I would think you could do better.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Here is the quote for Leisure Pools: (most likely go with Elegance 40)

The price for the 34 Rivera is 45,000.00
    Rivera 40 is 51,500.00
    Elegance 33 44,000
    Elegance 40 50,000

The price includes
    all sta rite equipment
    1 hp pump
    300 sq feet cartridge filter
    330-400k btu heater
    cover star automatic cover
    easy touch control box w/ salt
    2-3 pal led lights color changing
    5' of concrete around pool
    permits
    dig and haul off dirt

to do a variable speed pump will add 350.00
    a wireless remote installed is 900.00

Looks like a fiberglass pool is going in my backyard What am I missing with this quote?

13. Back To Top    #13

Did you end up getting more than one gunite quote? I think you can do better than both quotes you've posted so far.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Did you end up getting more than one gunite quote? I think you can do better than both quotes you've posted so far.
    Yes, both quotes were really close, actually the second quote was about 4% more expensive. Basically, $15k more than a similar size and shape fiberglass pool?

15. Back To Top    #15

What part of the country are you in?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

In Salt Lake City, UT - pools are expensive in general here, not exactly sure why?

17. Back To Top    #17

Many folks don't seem to post much about their pool prices after the fact, but here's ours if you want something to compare quotes with. Read our pool set up in the signature block to compare. Our entire set up (all of it) as it sits in the ground right now was roughly $31k. We installed it the first week of 2011. There are lots of variables that can affect the price. Here's some things we learned and did. We shopped online and bought things we could find cheaper ourselves. (VS pump, ET controller, dive & slide, deck jets, robot cleaner, solar heater, etc.--added the slide and solar after pool was done as DIY, but they are included in the $31k) Our PB was ok with that, we just laid it all out the way we wanted to do it up front before we signed anything. Our pool was made in Atlanta about 4 hours away via major interstates. We had sandy soil and a level lot to work with. No rocks, stumps, or ground water to deal with, just dig the hole & drop it in. We bought an end of year close out deal on the pool itself. I took a week off from work (had use lose time anyway and I'm the hands on type) and helped with the installation for an additional discount. (It was actually a lot fun for me.) If you are looking to save some $$ (which was important to us) there are lots of ways to save without really having to sacrifice all that much. Oh, be sure to check references. Go look at pools installed by whoever makes your short list and talk to the pool owners about their experience with the builder. Ditto for the pool manufacturer. Any reputable builder should be more than willing to provide references. Our builder has used us as a reference quite a few times this year and we're always happy to answer questions about our experience with him. Here's the link to our PB's web page that has pics of our pool if you want to see it better than the thumbnail avatar. http://www.nagypools.com/about.html Best of luck to you.
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.

18. Back To Top    #18

High local pool prices are what drove me to DIY. quotes on mine WITHOUT travertine decking were about 70 to 90k. They wanted 14 per sq ft for brushed concrete decking. I swear there must br some collusion among builders as each one that presented was just higher and higher.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

19. Back To Top    #19

wow is right. i just had a similar pool 18X36 without diving board and only 7 foot deep with intelliflo pump for exactly half your estimate here in se texas. 650 sf of peagravel deck.

20. Back To Top    #20

I am pretty sure I am going with the fiberglass pool. My next step is to submit a plan to our HOA, not a big issue, but want approval before doing anything else. Over the next couple of months, I will work with a contractor buddy to build a bathroom/shower for the pool. Going to be a little different, because we are going to do this at basement level. Basically, I have a walkout from the basement, we are going to build at the bottom of the stairs directly under my ACs and where all the pool pumps/stuff will go. We will have to excavate and poor foundation for the room. Not sure on the size, but big enough for a crapper, shower, sink and a little storage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast