Total Alkalinity too low?

May 26, 2009
Seminole, FL
My TF Testkit is showing my TA at about 60. It turns red at 60 and SLIGHTLY more red at 70. So it may be closer to 70. Is this too low? I have to frequently add acid to my pool as my PH rises quite regularly. I'd say I add about 40oz of acid every week. My plaster is a little over a year old. Should I look at increasing it? I thought having it low would keep my PH from rising (It NEVER drops). I'm wondering if I should raise it a bit with some baking soda or will that make my PH rise even worse?

Thanks.

If the 7th drop changes the color, your reading is 70. Which is the low end of the recommended range, but not outside it. So since you've already got a rising pH issue from the still-fairly-new plaster, and increasing TA will make it rise even faster, I'd say to keep it there. (Assuming your other numbers are nicely balanced.)

When doing the test keep dropping until the color quits changing and don't count the last drop if it didn't make the color change. I'd say your TA was 70 or 80+. I wouldn't raise it. Mine runs between 70 and 80 and I rarely add acid. Do you have a swcg?

Bama Rambler said:
When doing the test keep dropping until the color quits changing and don't count the last drop if it didn't make the color change. I'd say your TA was 70 or 80+. I wouldn't raise it. Mine runs between 70 and 80 and I rarely add acid. Do you have a swcg?

No SWCG.. strickly liquid chlorine. My full numbers:

TC: 6
CC: 0
TA: 60-70 (Probably 70)
CH: 280
CYA: 40
PH 7.8 (Need to add some acid today)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.