Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: French Drain Help.

1. Back To Top    #1

French Drain Help.

hello,i have a new above ground pool. the pool has a deck with an under deck slope about four feet of slope. i built a french drain at the bottom about a foot and a half in front of the pool where about a foot of water collects every time it rains. i did the black fabric and the crushed stone and the proper slope with the drain pipes, now what do i do with the end where i need the water to flow away from the pool. can i just dig a big hole and fill it with crushed stone and let it flow into the yard under ground? thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: French Drain Help.

can i just dig a big hole and fill it with crushed stone and let it flow into the yard under ground?
    Sometimes. It depends on how well the soil "perks" (absorbs moisture). Is there a way you can continue the drainpipe downhill and let it run out into a lower area? That's better than digging a hole although the hole may work if your soil is good.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sicklerville, NJ

Re: French Drain Help.

Either put a drainage tank underground or terminate in a pop-up drain above ground
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Williamsburg, VA

French Drain Help.

Keep digging so that you can get the end of the pipe well away and below grade from the pool; it's completely counter productive to take surface water and put it below your pool by digging a sump pit.

I am here:,-77.460077