Rebar Question

Lershac

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
So I just got asked a question by my gunite guy on the phone that I did not understand what he meant, and my google-fu is weak. I also didnt really understand his explanation.

He asked me if I had any "alternates" laid in the rebar. What does this mean?

Not sure, but he may be asking about standoffs. These are wire "A" frame looking pieces that are used to position rebar in the middle of the concrete. Without standoffs the rebar will be at the very bottom of the concrete and that's not where they should be. Some contractors will drive rebar studs vertically in the ground then wire the steel to the studs. Others will use wire standoffs that are much faster to install and do a better job.

Don't be shy about asking him what he means by "alternates" and even ask for a drawing or sketch if you don't have a clear understanding of what he is asking. Better find out for sure what he means before you get something you don't want or don't get somethi9ng you did want.

My guys used those little blocks of concrete with wire sticking out of it. They raised the whole floor up about 3", same clearance on the side walls too.

The only thing I found that makes any sense to me is this thread I found on another forum:

I just got an estimate on a pool and was wondering if this type of construction is overkill for a pool in houston, texas or is it good? I was told standard is 12" beam with with 3/8" rebar on 8" centers.

Pool/spa is 16' x 29'
3.5' to 6' deep
8' raised spa with 6 jets
Est 14,000 gallons
15" beam around pool
8" thick gunite on walls
8" gunite on floor
1/2" #4 rebar 10" on center
Alternating 1/2" #4 rebar 5" on center (was told this would lead to rebar every 5" on center in walls)

Yeah I don't think he meant standoffs I think it what nightmare is quoting. I will find out I guess, I hired him to come look over job and tell me what I need to fix. Then shoot the shell. He ball parked the shoot at around $6500. I am sure it will be higher, lol ballparks are always too low.

He could be referring to additional rebar in a crossing pattern. That is usually specified like "#4 rebar @12" C-C, both ways". I've never heard of it being called alternate, but you need to find out for sure what he is talking about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.