Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster Sealant?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster Sealant?

I have a leak in my hot tub and have narrowed it down to the plaster on the seat. I've double and triple checked all of the penetrations with dye with and without the pump running. The hot tub seat had a layer of plaster over the original plaster. The 2nd layer was becoming cracked and detached from the original layer. I have fully removed the 2nd layer and am down to the original layer. I'm assuming that it was replastered because it was leaking and they did a crappy job with the replaster and that fell off. So now I'd like to see if there's a product or something I can use to just waterproof the original plaster on the seat? Is there some type of clear waterproofing product I can apply to just stop the water from seeping through the seat? I've seen the paints and stuff and I might end up trying something like that but I just want to know what my options are. The plaster in the whole rest of the hot tub is still good, it's just the seat.
    15,000 Gal In-Ground w/ Spillover Spa, Pebble Finish
    120 Sq Ft Hayward Cartridge Filter, 1.5HP Single Speed Pump, (4) 4X12 Solar Panels, Circupool SI45 SWG
    Pool Installed in 1998
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster Sealant?

I discourage paint. It will chalk up bathing suits and feet and will need reapplication periodically. It may not seal the crack either.

This really should be properly repaired and replastered. Band aids will wind up costing more over the not too distant future.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Well there's not really any crack. It's the actual plaster that the water is seeping through. It's not a large area so I really don't want to go through having a company come out and replaster the hot tub just for the seat leaking. Is it possible to do plastering myself or is that something I have to have a company out to do? I am pretty handy and do almost everything DIY.
    15,000 Gal In-Ground w/ Spillover Spa, Pebble Finish
    120 Sq Ft Hayward Cartridge Filter, 1.5HP Single Speed Pump, (4) 4X12 Solar Panels, Circupool SI45 SWG
    Pool Installed in 1998
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool Plastering is a specialty, not a DIY project.

Thin and delaminating plaster should be removed and redone.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.