hayward heater drip only when on

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I have a Hayward H400 heater, I think ED1. It's the one with no digital display and a manual thermostat knob (it only has this one knob). I have not used it this season and have had no leaks this season, but when I turned it on today, I heard something that sounds like a drop of water falling on something hot and sizzling. It happens about every 20 seconds or so, but again, when the heater is off I see no signs of leakage anywhere. This is only my second year with a pool and I don't remember hearing this last year. What could it be?

thanks

If it only leaks during operation, then it is most likely condensation. There are a few things that can cause excessive condensation:

1) Heating very cold water.
2) Excessive flow through heater.
3) High humidity.
4) Malfunctioning internal bypass valve.
5) Malfunctioning thermal control valve.

Condensation might cause the heat exchanger to soot up, so the heater should be checked for sooting.

I only use my pool during the weekend, so on Saturday, so after a few hours of running the heater, if it is condensation, the drip should stop. if it doesn't, what's my next step? Do I remove the right access panel and turn the heater on?

thanks

X-PertPool said:
Wouldn't the heat exchanger leak regardless of whether or not the heater is burning?
It could be a pinhole, or it could be condensation. If the drip is slow enough, the water could evaporate before becoming noticeable. When the heater is on, the drip is noticeable due to the sound.

Use a test strip to see if there's any measurable chlorine in the water that is dripping. If it's the same as you pool water, then it's a leak. If it's chlorine free and your poolwater has chlorine in it, then it's condensation.
A leak in the heat exchanger will leak at all times that the pump is on because it is under pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.