Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Pum vs. Solar Heating

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Pum vs. Solar Heating

We're adding a heater to our pool and trying to decide whether to go with a heat pump or a solar heating system. We're in Arizona, so you'd think that solar heating would be the automatic choice, but I haven't heard anything good from any of the companies I requested estimates from. The company that put in our pool wouldn't even talk about solar units, and they've been in the business for 25 years. They also said they use just one heat pump unit and that was it, a "one size fits all" sort of response. Any advice from you learned souls would be much appreciated.
    IG, Shotcrete, PebbleTech, 30 1/2 x 13, 13000 approx. gals, 1 1/2 HP Jandy pump, 2 1/2 plumbing, cartridge filter, SWG, ozone system, PV3 in-floor pop-up cleaning, Mesa, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat Pum vs. Solar Heating

Quote Originally Posted by engteach43
    We're adding a heater to our pool and trying to decide whether to go with a heat pump or a solar heating system. We're in Arizona, so you'd think that solar heating would be the automatic choice, but I haven't heard anything good from any of the companies I requested estimates from. The company that put in our pool wouldn't even talk about solar units, and they've been in the business for 25 years. They also said they use just one heat pump unit and that was it, a "one size fits all" sort of response. Any advice from you learned souls would be much appreciated.
    Hi engteach43,
    You live in Arizona. Heating a pool is against the law here. If you get one you will use it for a month or two? LOL
    Now that I got the funny stuff out of the way I would suggest solar as you know most of the time we do have plenty of sun. One critical issue is that your solar panels must face south to get the full potential of the winter sun. I feel the solar will cost you a lot less then a heat pump. I would talk with any neighbors or friends with heaters and ask them what they have and think is good.

By any chance did A&K Pools build your pool?
    Your pool looks like mine. How do you like the Paramount in-floor cleaning?
    I do think it is the best designed in-floor system around.
    Iggy
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Iggy. Cameo Pools in Mesa did ours. We have plenty of roof top facing south, so that's a plus. Do you have solar heat? We wish we would have just gone with a heating system when they put it in, but our salesman just sort of glossed over the issue without giving any info. We we're disappointed that we had to stop swimming before the end of September last fall. We just finished the pool in the beginning of July. I love the in-floor cleaning system. Saves a lot of work.
    IG, Shotcrete, PebbleTech, 30 1/2 x 13, 13000 approx. gals, 1 1/2 HP Jandy pump, 2 1/2 plumbing, cartridge filter, SWG, ozone system, PV3 in-floor pop-up cleaning, Mesa, AZ

4. Back To Top    #4
    if the budget allows it, i would do both, it will save you $$$$ in the long run.

or when you have sun use the solar heater, but if you want to use the pool at night you run the heat pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

A heat pump would be more consistent heat when you need it most, during the winter months.
    Consider that during the hottest parts of the summer months, a heat pump is capable of cooling your pool water much better than running your solar at night.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6
    Check out this site and insert your specifications.
    http://www.flasolar.com/php/pool_panels_entry.php

I inserted my own data and it came out pretty consistent. I used 12 deg rise instead of 16 and my water temp is consistent with their final chart.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the good advice. We went with the heat pump. It works great!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Which heat pump did you end up choosing?
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps