This is an awesome site! Only wish I had found it sooner. So here is my problem. Our pool has been basically neglected for the last year, except to add salt when the indicator said it needed it. It has an electric cover and has been kept closed because of lots of little children around. I opened it a few days ago and the water smelled very strongly of chlorine. I backwashed the filter and drained off a few inches of water, also left the cover open hoping the sun would burn off some of the chlorine. Using a Walmart test kit, I tested the chlorine. It just beaded into little brownish-orange drops. Then I tested the PH and it was way high. I added Muriatic Acid. THEN I found your site. So, today I bought one of your recommended test kits. Today, the water smells better and my arm does not REEK after testing. But, when I tried to test chlorine, the water never turned from pink, even after 70 drops of R-0871. I tested for Cyanuric acid and the solution never got cloudy. I could see the little black dot even with the tube full. Next I tested the PH, still very high. When adding drops of Acid Demand Reagent, the water just turned purple.
And, is the pool safe to swim in? (it has not been swam in for the last year at all.)
Thanks for any help.
Pool is 15 x 30, 15,000 gal.
Filter (Sand) is Purex Triton II
Heater is Purex Triton Minimax (not currently working, but not needed)
SWG is Pentel Water Intellichlor Chlorine Generator (Salt is measuring ok, about 3200)