Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding salt as a softener

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding salt as a softener

I know I've seen it somewhere on this site, but to be honest, I've done so much reading here I can't remember where I saw it. What is the panel's opinion of adding salt as a water softener? If someone knows off the top of their head what section that was in, I would appreciate you pointing me in that direction!

Does anyone here do it? Opinions?
    22,000 inground Fiberglass
    DE Filter Pentair FNSP 48
    Century Centurion 1.0 HP 1.25 S.F. 3450 RPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding salt as a softener

I dont know where is is posted but before I went with a SWCG I kept the water in my pool and hot tub at 2000 ppm salt. I thought it made a difference in the water. You should start with a salt test kit as chlorine could already have you above a salt level of 2000 ppm. The only way to remove salt is drain/refill.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker

3. Back To Top    #3

Adding salt adds a subjective water feel improvement. It doesn't soften it the way a water softener does (exchanging calcium and minerals for sodium ions). If you need to soften pool water you need to replace the water with softer water, such as rain water or tap water if its softer. Alternatively, you can have it treated with RO or truck water in.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

4. Back To Top    #4

Found it. It was just a brief mention under the "BBB" section. JasonLion mentions it briefly as a water softener even if you aren't using a SWG. Ok, I was just pondering it really. I can't complain too much about my water because it's perfect to me. I was just wondering if I was missing out on something.

Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

A teardrop has a salt content of 9000ppm, Saline IV fluid has a salt content of 9000ppm. One difference I notice with my salt content is if you spend alot of time in the pool you dont come out with pruned skin. The has to do with osmosis. Water with a higher salt content will waterlog the skin less as it is closer to the salt content of the skin.
    Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BBBliever
    A teardrop has a salt content of 9000ppm, Saline IV fluid has a salt content of 9000ppm. One difference I notice with my salt content is if you spend alot of time in the pool you dont come out with pruned skin. The has to do with osmosis. Water with a higher salt content will waterlog the skin less as it is closer to the salt content of the skin.
    What is your level?

7. Back To Top    #7

With my Intex SWCG I keep my salt level around 3500ppm. I will admit the feel is subjective, but at 2000pmm I noticed a difference. Maybe it was a metal thing. Regardless I like the water better.
    Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

I keep mine at 2000 and love it. I feel a difference between that and not having added the salt.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska