Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Year-round Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Year-round Pool?

Question: I just bought a house in Atlanta, GA with an in-ground pool, and I have been debating whether or not to close it at the end of this season or leave it open year-round. This is my first pool so any and all comments/suggestions are very much appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Year-round Pool?

Welcome to TFP.

In Atl I'd close it. You don't have very cold winters there, but it's cold enough that you can't use it and there's no use wasting the chems or the electricity to keep it open.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in Oklahoma and I leave mine open all year. Only had one mishap and that was due to power loss in freezing conditions. Be prepared for such as far as freeze plugs etc. I posted a checklist last year if you can find it. We like looking at the pool as opposed to a cover and the water hardly changes once it gets below 50F.

Donnie

found link: talk-about-stupid-t18331.html
    8500 Gallon Fiberglass IG / Sta-Rite pump,cartridge filter & heater / PoolPilot Dig 220-36 SWG / Testing w/K2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Interesting replies

We don't take possession of the house until Labor Day weekend, but we had the pool inspected and the Pool Guy said that it looks good, no leaks... safety cover is on and water is a murky green. I have a test kit on order but I will not be able to begin shocking the pool until Friday, September 2nd. Is it realistic to think that I could have the pool in swimmable condition by the next Saturday? I know that this question is a little ridiculous considering that I have no idea what any of the levels are!

5. Back To Top    #5

It's certainly possible but how probable it is all depends on what the test numbers say. Good news is that you're ahead of the game and you already know what you have to do.

Stock up on a lot of bleach.

If you could go by and run the pump and dump in a few jugs of bleach every couple of days, that might get your ahead of the game. Since you said the cover is on, there's probably not a lot of stuff in the bottom.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

wkener2, I've been trying to figure this out too (I'm in the same area) seems some folks around here close their pool and some don't. I'm not sure if you where here last winter but we, along with the rest of the south, got hit with a pretty bad cold snap that lasted days.

Being cheap and lazy, I don't really want to go to the trouble of closing the pool, since it doesn't usually get cold enough long enough to freeze. But, I'd hate to be wrong like last year. Then again, I'd be pretty annoyed if I went to the expense and trouble to close it and we have a balmy winter. rofl.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

7. Back To Top    #7

Puffin,

Yes, this past winter was bad! What's interesting is that the previous owners never closed the pool... it looks like they just put the safety cover on and turned off the pump Water is a little high (right about at the top of the skimmers) but thankfully there are no leaks in the system and everything runs fine. I really want to know what that CYA reading is going to be

8. Back To Top    #8

I keep mine open year round in Dallas. It uses almost no chlorine when it's cold, and I only run the pump for 4 hours a day. The good thing was when it did get super cold here (unusual), the pump was already set to circulate during the coldest part of the night. I didn't have a bit of freeze or ice.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Bama Rambler,

If I could do that, could I leave the cover on? Wouldn't I have to leave the pump running 24/7 in order for that to be effective?

Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a year-round pool. Even though it doesn't freeze here, it does get too cold to swim, and I am too cheap to heat the thing year-round. Not rich enough, actually... But I digress. I do use the spa portion from time to time in the off season, and since it shares the pump, filter, and heater, I have to keep it all balanced. It uses very little chlorine when it's cold.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

wekener2,

I live on the opposite side of ATL from you. I am on the west side in the Hiram/Dallas area. We put in an above ground pool in 2009 and I have never closed it. Run the pump only about 2-4 hours in the winter. I do have a timer with freeze protection and it does a good job of kicking in when the temps drop.

Of course, since I installed the pool, we have had 2 of the worst (coldest) winters we have had in a while here. I have had some issues, but mostly with the skimmer getting ice in it. I did have to point the return (only one) towards the skimmer to keep it from freezing up and that helped quite a bit. I keep a light (1000 watt halogen) next to the pump/filter and can turn it on for heat if temps drop too much. My pump and filter are underneath my deck and I enclosed it a bit last year. They are not completely sealed,but enough to keep most of the heat in if I need to turn on the lights for warmth.

I too, like the view of the pool as opposed to a blue or green cover in the winter. Not a lot of work even though I have a lot of trees around. Have 2 neighbors with inground pools and they both close and their pools look awful over hte winter. Mine stays nice and clear and the grandsons always want to swim, even in the coldest days.

I wanted to add my 2 cents on this, of course, it is personal choice on keeping it open or closing.

12. Back To Top    #12

Do those solar covers that they advertise really work like they say they do? If they really do raise water temp significantly that would extend the season...

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by wkener2
    Do those solar covers that they advertise really work like they say they do? If they really do raise water temp significantly that would extend the season...
    Solar covers do work to some extent, but it's the equipment and plumbing that is at risk of freeze damage which would not be protected by the cover.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes to answer one of your questions - you can clear a green murky pool in a weeks time but you have to make the pool a committment/priority and be prepared to hit it hard around the clock - testing and adding chlorine, brushing, etc. Read the 'green swamp' Pool School article for specifics but it's definitely possible if all of the equipment is functioning properly.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

15. Back To Top    #15

I plan to keep mine open too.
    What should I keep chem levels at when water is below 60, it is actually 42 now!
    chems now are: FC-2.5, CYA is about 30, very low due to lots of water replacement, Ph is 7.7, TA is 50
    Can I be a little less attentive to levels?
    I do have a temp sensor that will turn on the pump below 36 or so. I have a back up generator as well so I should be ok unless the gas goes out
    22'x40' IG, Freeform, 26K gal, Vinyl liner pool(2011), three returns plus two step jets, one slide, two skimmers, two LED lights, Stamped Concrete with Aqua PL-Plus Automation panel, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter 500lb, Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell 15 (SWG) Smart Pool Scrubber60 Robotic Pool Vac.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by cood60
    I plan to keep mine open too.
    What should I keep chem levels at when water is below 60, it is actually 42 now!
    chems now are: FC-2.5, CYA is about 30, very low due to lots of water replacement, Ph is 7.7, TA is 50
    Can I be a little less attentive to levels?
    I do have a temp sensor that will turn on the pump below 36 or so. I have a back up generator as well so I should be ok unless the gas goes out
    You can get lax with the FC since algae doesn't really grow well in cold water. I wouldn't advise completely ignoring it, but you can certainly skip testing a few days at a time. pH is still critical. You don't want scaling nor heater corrosion.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks. I unhooked and drained the Heat Pump
    22'x40' IG, Freeform, 26K gal, Vinyl liner pool(2011), three returns plus two step jets, one slide, two skimmers, two LED lights, Stamped Concrete with Aqua PL-Plus Automation panel, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter 500lb, Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell 15 (SWG) Smart Pool Scrubber60 Robotic Pool Vac.

18. Back To Top    #18

there should be a sticky for year round pools.
    This is my first year with a pool and I don't plan on closing it this winter. dont have trees in my back yard and it rarely freezes over here in memphis,Tn. water is staying in the low 50's and i have gone a few days without turning the pump on or even checked it. pool is staying clear with a tad bit of leaves and dirt. i've been turning the pump on for about 4 or so hrs every couple of days. also put in a couple of pucks in the floater so i can be even lazier with maintenance. plan is to dump chlorine in if it starts to look hazy. so far so good
    11,000 gal Fiberglass IG, Jacuzzi sand filter, Pentair Superflo 1.5hp 2speed pump, Hayward AQR15, Maytronics Active20, K-2006 kit, K1766, SpeedStir

19. Back To Top    #19

you are testing every few days right?

I avoid the pucks as I am told the pucks come with their own issues as they are mostly wrappen in delivery agents that I think add to total dissolved something or others

20. Back To Top    #20

The main issue with pucks is CYA.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!