HELP! Pool has too much chlorine and hardness

Jul 16, 2011
I dumped 1/2 container of costco chlorox bleach into my pool 2 weeks ago and my chlorine level has stayed above 5 on the Walmart 6 way test. It is dark yellow. Will this will damage my pumps or pool? My CYA is at 60

Also my hardness is at 500. Is there any way to bring this number down without draining the pool?

It's not the bleach. It's your SWG. Turn it down a little. For 60ppm CYA you want to see 3ppm consistently. The chlorine from the addition of bleach 2 weeks ago is all gone, it doesn't last that long. 1/2 container? What was the size of the container?

CH can't be reduced without draining, sorry. Have you tested your fill water?

Without a good test kit we have no idea how how it really is so we can't really say. But if you suspect it's really that high then turn your swcg down a bit and see if that helps.

P.S. Go ahead and order a good test kit so you'll know what your numbers really are and stop guessing what they may be. :)
You should also order a salt test kit and a Speedstir to go with it. See the link in my sig.

The only option for getting rid of CH besides draining is R/O (reverse osmosis). It depends on where you're located as to whether that's available in your area.

sorry forgot to mention I have not turned on my SWG yet. I am suppose to wait 1 month for the shortcrete to harden before turning it on and adding the salt to the pool

Will the high chlorine damage my equipment or pool?

The chlorine level is not going to hurt anything. Promise. His CYA is 60 Frog.... Pay attention! :lol:

FC does seem high at that volume and pool size. Your test is the yellow OTO chlorine test? If so, you really need the FAS DPD test in the Taylor k2006 or Tf test kits. It truly is a minuscule investment for such a tremendous pool. Dont worry, and order a good kit straight away.

New shotcreat, is this a new pool with new equipment. Regardless there is a considerable amount of money poured into that hole in the ground called a pool. You need the right tools to maintain it. At the top of that list should be a good testing kit.

Would you spend $40,000 on a car only to never look at the instrumentation, gauges, or check the fluids. The money spent on a good test kit recommended by this site will save you it's cost several times over is wasted/needless chemicals. Not to mention the damage that can be done to the pool or equipment with unbalanced water chemisty.

Please do yourself and your pool a favor, get a good test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.