Switching pool to the BBB method...need advice

I have an 18' round above ground pool with a sand filter. For the past three years it has been a nightmare of green water every other week or so. Before I got fed up and found this website the pool guy started me on EZ pool. That didn't work either. So, I want to take charge and do this cheaper and cleaner. The water is clear. I had the water tested today and here are the results:
FC 0
TC 0.55
CC 0.55
TA (input) 97
TA (adjusted) 76
PH 7.4
Calcium Hardness 336
CYA 63
The tester said I had slight levels of copper due to the EZ pool but I don't have the amount. She recommended that I put in 1lb of non chlorine shock. I am not adding anything until I get advice from all of you. I have the walmart tester reagent kit...I am ordering the one you have recommended. Thanks so much. I have read everything on this site. I am so hopeful that the rest of this summer will be truly an "easy pool" experience!

Hey there, NC neighbor,

Even though I have a dog in the fight (I sell the TF-100) This forum and BBB begins and ends with accurate testing and dosing. So, whether you get mine or the Taylor K-2006, that really is the very first step to understanding what's going on in your pool. We'll get you the rest of the way with all the help you will need. Just ask lot's of questions and keep reading Pool School. :lol:

So, in your particular case based on your test results, I would suggest the following (in order)...

1. Put 2 gallons of 6% bleach in your pool. This will get your FC to 8ppm and kill off any organics that may be in your pool now. Do this today at your VERY first opportunity.

2. Because the sun and organics usually reduce chlorine by about 2-3ppm daily, I would like for you to put in roughly a quart-1.5 quarts of clorox each day starting tomorrow and continue doing that until your test kit arrives and you can test your pool. These first two steps will insure your pool will remain clear.

3. THAT's IT! (for now) Your other numbers actually are pretty good and almost (except for the chlorine) look like someone has been practicing BBB on that pool for a while.

4. Once your test results are done and up here on the forum, there are literally hundreds of nice people here more than willing to help you fine tune your pool and keep it crystal clear the remainder of the season. Welcome!

EDIT - I almost forgot. See if you can look up the results of that copper test. Your new kit will not have that test and it is important for us (and you) to know if the copper will cause you some future problems.

Thanks so much! Just put the 2 gallons of bleach in the pool. Forgot to ask...do I need to keep the filter running all night and day? It is on a 12hour timer. I will call and find out about the copper levels. I am looking forward to having some "control" over this pool...tired of being in the dark! :party:

I suggest you start your pump schedule in 5 hour increments twice each day. For example 8:00AM to 1:00PM and then one more cycle from 7:00PM until 12midnight. Will your timer allow that?

schulze4512 said:
Thanks so much! Just put the 2 gallons of bleach in the pool. Forgot to ask...do I need to keep the filter running all night and day? It is on a 12hour timer. I will call and find out about the copper levels. I am looking forward to having some "control" over this pool...tired of being in the dark! :party:

Hi schulze4512 and welcome to TFP!

Get the TF-100 kit as soon as you can, without it I was just a mess like you are now, (well better than me as I didn't know this site existed then) once I got my kit the learning curve was a little hard at first because I was mixing using the stores advice and my TF-100 results! DON'T do that! Use your test results only from the TF-100.
With all of the help here you can't go wrong, all of us here have been there and can offer SOLID advice to help you and you can't buy that advice anywhere. :cool:
Without my TF-100 kit and TFP I wouldn't have had a very good summer WITHOUT a pool! (I was not going to deal with it anymore)
This link is special for me:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/become-a-tfp-supporter-f27.html

Chuck :-D

Just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!!! to all of you on this site. I had pool nightmare for the last 3yrs and was considering filling it in and giving up. Got great advice at the end of summer last year...UPDATE: opened up a crystal clear pool in April. have been using my awesome testing kit from Taylor...and pool has been fantastic. My numbers are all on target and easily managed. The prettiest pool in the neighborhood for a fraction of the cost! Didn't have to spend my usual $300 bucks for chemicals at the start up this year. I will forever be grateful to the BBB method. We are a BBB pool for life! :whoot:

schulze4512 said:
Just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!!! to all of you on this site. I had pool nightmare for the last 3yrs and was considering filling it in and giving up. Got great advice at the end of summer last year...UPDATE: opened up a crystal clear pool in April. have been using my awesome testing kit from Taylor...and pool has been fantastic. My numbers are all on target and easily managed. The prettiest pool in the neighborhood for a fraction of the cost! Didn't have to spend my usual $300 bucks for chemicals at the start up this year. I will forever be grateful to the BBB method. We are a BBB pool for life! :whoot:
Well stick around and help answer questions, then!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.