Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Calcium hardness and high phosphates.

1. Back To Top    #1

High Calcium hardness and high phosphates.

Okay...had water tested at pool store with following stats: FC 3.0; CC 0; ph 8.0; Hardness 450; Alkalinity 145; CA 65; 1500 Phosphates. Consulted Pool Calculator and added needed Chlorine and Acid. Am reluctant to replace any water since we are on a well and are in the midst of severe drought in Central Texas. I do know that we have very hard water and also have Luder stone edge around the hot tub and half of the pool which is being eroded by the salt water. Could this erosion be causing my high calcium level? Are there any other solutions other than replacing water? We have an auto fill feature. Thanks in advance for any advice. P.S. Is there anyway I could set up auto notification on my Blackberry when I receive a response to a post?
    19,000 gallon, SWG, IG; Plaster/pebble, cartridge filter, Zodiac 2hp variable speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Calcium hardness and high phosphates.

Since you have a swcg, your hardness is a little high but it's ok. Your TA is way high and your pH is way high. Your CYA is a little low but since that number came from a pool store I wouldn't adjust it.

The first thing I'd recommend is to adjust the pH to about 7.2 and that will help bring the TA down.

You really need a good test kit. There's a link in my sig to the best place to get one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

at the top left, click "subscribe topic"

We need your CYA number, and ignore the phosphates.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the "subscribe topic" tip! I assume this will now notify me via email? Anyway....I do have the good test kit and am still a bit reluctant; have used it a couple times but it continues to intimidate me! My CYA is 65 which I did include but only called it "CA"
    19,000 gallon, SWG, IG; Plaster/pebble, cartridge filter, Zodiac 2hp variable speed

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by GG
    Thanks for the "subscribe topic" tip! I assume this will now notify me via email? Anyway....I do have the good test kit and am still a bit reluctant; have used it a couple times but it continues to intimidate me! My CYA is 65 which I did include but only called it "CA"
    If you have a good test kit, run a complete set of tests and post those # s I'd trust yours more than the pool store! Bama is correct lower ph to 7.2 and repeat when the ph reaches 7.8. This process will over time lower your tA. With high ph and high calcium you are creating an environment that will produce calcium scale.. The phosphates will be a non issue as long as you
    maintain proper amounts of fc. IMHO as for options to water replacement, you could check on reverse osmosis treatment for your water.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

I will do my own complete test this evening and post results in the morning. Thanks to all.....and another request for Pool Calculator for my Blackberry!

7. Back To Top    #7

As promised, my results this evening. FC 5;CC0; TC 5; ph 8.2+; TA 150; CH 420; CYA (not sure I did this correctly; does it mean that you can't see the black dot at all or when it changes to grey?) It never truly went away but it did change to grey. This morning I added 79 ounces of Clorox and 36 ounces of 31.45% Muriatic Acid. Would appreciate any and all advice! Thanks.....

8. Back To Top    #8

If the CYA test never went away but became cloudy then your CYA is about 20. You'll need to add some.

Since your FC was 5 ppm you didn't need to add any chlorine unless you're shocking, but it's ok that you did.

Adding 36 oz of acid lowered your pH by .46 and your TA by 7.4. You'll probably need to add a lot more. You should be shooting for a pH of 7.2 each time you adjust. When you enter all your numbers in the Pool Calc it'll give you a pretty good idea of how much to add.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks! I assume from your comments that the black dot should disappear, not just fade. I used the pool calculator and added the suggested amounts of acid n stabilizer, 46 ozs and a bottle of stabilizer. I will check again this evening. So appreciate the good help. Gives me hope!

10. Back To Top    #10

No use checking the stabilizer this evening unless you used liquid. It won't show up on the test for about a week. Consider it in there tomorrow and raise the FC to match.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

GG

When using the pool calculator you want to make sure you've set your volume of water near the top, and TFP goal and pool type near the bottom. Also set your now and goals. This makes the calculator work for your pool, the defaults could give you erroneous readings for your pool.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320