Mustard Algae?

Jun 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
I've been running my pool with all your help this season and it's been great.

This is where it all began first-test-results-t34938.html mostly I spend time dealing with sparlypoolitis, it drives me crazy to see anything in the pool so I vacuum, leaf rake etc. to keep it clean.

I've been kind of bad about checking my levels since the pool appears fine when looking, clear, no colour. My tests were always showing a FC of 6 at the end of the day so I slacked off.

About two weeks ago I noticed some yellow/orange colouring along the "ledge" where the straight wall angles for the deep end under the return and also close to that on a outer curve going deeper than the other spot. I brushed it away and it comes back in the same spots always in about 2 days.

Ran some tests today

FC 11.5
CC 0
PH 7.8 or 8 (hard to tell and yes I know it's high)
TA 90
CYA 40 (I know this is low but I've put in 11.5 pounds this season and need to get more reagent to further test)

So I'm wondering if I should up to mustard level for 24 hours or run the OCLT or both.

Any help appreciated.

linen said:
If you can do it tonight, run the OCLT...then bring it up to normal shock level (not mustard levels yet) tomorrow. If you haven't yet, read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/mustard_algae. Are the spots on the shady side of the pool?

I've read the mustard algae page a few times and others experiences dealing with it. They are in the shady end of the pool.

I can retest now the swg was still running when I did the posted tests. Do I run the filter overnight with the swg off or just let it sit overnight? The instructions don't say. How many hours can I safely retest and get an accurate result?

That would IMPLY (but not guarantee) that it is not algae but rather something like pollen. Does it feel at all gritty? Capture some on a cloth and take a good examination of it. Try skimmer socks to see if they capture it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.