Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard Algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard Algae?

I've been running my pool with all your help this season and it's been great.

This is where it all began first-test-results-t34938.html mostly I spend time dealing with sparlypoolitis, it drives me crazy to see anything in the pool so I vacuum, leaf rake etc. to keep it clean.

I've been kind of bad about checking my levels since the pool appears fine when looking, clear, no colour. My tests were always showing a FC of 6 at the end of the day so I slacked off.

About two weeks ago I noticed some yellow/orange colouring along the "ledge" where the straight wall angles for the deep end under the return and also close to that on a outer curve going deeper than the other spot. I brushed it away and it comes back in the same spots always in about 2 days.

Ran some tests today

FC 11.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.8 or 8 (hard to tell and yes I know it's high)
    TA 90
    CYA 40 (I know this is low but I've put in 11.5 pounds this season and need to get more reagent to further test)

So I'm wondering if I should up to mustard level for 24 hours or run the OCLT or both.

Any help appreciated.
    18 x 38 IG vinyl modified roman, sand filter, swg, 1hp pump, raypak ng heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mustard Algae?

If you can do it tonight, run the OCLT...then bring it up to normal shock level (not mustard levels yet) tomorrow. If you haven't yet, read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-.../mustard_algae. Are the spots on the shady side of the pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    If you can do it tonight, run the OCLT...then bring it up to normal shock level (not mustard levels yet) tomorrow. If you haven't yet, read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-.../mustard_algae. Are the spots on the shady side of the pool?
    I've read the mustard algae page a few times and others experiences dealing with it. They are in the shady end of the pool.

I can retest now the swg was still running when I did the posted tests. Do I run the filter overnight with the swg off or just let it sit overnight? The instructions don't say. How many hours can I safely retest and get an accurate result?

4. Back To Top    #4

For the OCLT, run the filter but leave the swg off. Test your fc tonight at least 1/2 hour after turning off the swg.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

swg off, pump running, I'll post in the morning, thanks for the help.

6. Back To Top    #6

12:40am FC 11

8:20 am FC 11

Now what do I do?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

That would IMPLY (but not guarantee) that it is not algae but rather something like pollen. Does it feel at all gritty? Capture some on a cloth and take a good examination of it. Try skimmer socks to see if they capture it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I haven't touched it always just brushed it away I'll try to capture some.

I'm afraid to let my FC drop to a normal level.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I'm afraid to let my FC drop to a normal level.
    Why? It appears not to be killing any organics so let it come on down.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Will do. I like looking at the pool so if something happens I should notice it quickly. I'll try to grab some of the "stuff" also a picture of it when it comes back.

Thanks for the help.