Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learned a lesson today, and a pool safety question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Learned a lesson today, and a pool safety question.

Well, I learned that when I use the poolcalculator.com that I should check my numbers TWICE and dose ONCE. It's been awhile since I used Borax to raise pH up from 7.2 to 7.5 and I plugged what I thought was "7.2" into the pool calculator. Well, after I got back from putting 99oz. of Borax in my pool I went to close down the pool calculator and happened to notice "7..2" in the NOW column (notice the extra decimal point) Well.... I changed it to the correct "7.2" and well, long story short, I've dosed my pH to 8.2 now Let's just say, from now on I WILL CLOSELY LOOK AT INPUTTED NUMBERS !!!

Question? Should I stop by Home Depot or Lowes for muriatic acid?? Or can we safely swim while the pH slowly creeps down from our acid rain as has been happening all summer? Usually takes about three weeks to creep from 7.5 to 7.2 and that's if there has been good rainfall during that time. TA is 170 and I have had no problems with pH swings other than the slow creep down. Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS - Any recommended brands and usual price for muriatic acid from Lowes or Home Depot?
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Learned a lesson today, and a pool safety question.

I would get the MA and bring the pH down to 7.8 and then let it drift down from there.
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Unless your pool does otherwise, most pools tend to drift upwards regarding pH.

Regardless, it is important your pool get below 8.0 right away and I would suggest 7.4 as a target.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Unless your pool does otherwise, most pools tend to drift upwards regarding pH.

Regardless, it is important your pool get below 8.0 right away and I would suggest 7.4 as a target.
    I would love to agree with you. But my pool drifts down over time and I think it's because of acid rain here. Now I know that that's a long shot (but we do have "dead" lakes up in our Adirondacks) but each and every time my pool needs to be drained of an inch or so of water due to rain accumulation, my pH drifts down a bit. But I will take your advice and grab some muriatic on the way home from work tomorrow and get her back down. At least I have another use for the muriatic ... can clean some rust spots on my concrete garage floor.

5. Back To Top    #5

Make sure it's 20 Baume or 31% not 15%.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    Make sure it's 20 Baume or 31% not 15%.
    ...And put in 7.8 not 7..8...
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by thepiratemorgan
    Question? Should I stop by Home Depot or Lowes for muriatic acid??

PS - Any recommended brands and usual price for muriatic acid from Lowes or Home Depot?
    Both HD and Lowes have it as well as every pool store on the planet. If you buy it in a big box store just make sure you go to the pool dept in the garden center. It will be about 10-11$ for two gallons. If you buy it in the paint dept it will be $7-7.50 for 1 gallon. If you need less than a gal that's your call and some ofthe pool stores sell it in single gal cheap as well.
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

8. Back To Top    #8

What do you keep your TA at. A higher TA will help with the lower PH. For my AGP with SWCG I need a TA of about 140 to stabilize PH. When I installed the SWCG I brought TA down to 80 but PH was always drifting lower. Adjust your TA until you find your sweet spot.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker

9. Back To Top    #9

You could add borates to also act as a PH buffer.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, I learned that when I use the poolcalculator.com that I should check my numbers TWICE and dose ONCE
    There could be errors both ways. I always tell my customers to add half of whatever they're supposed to add, wait, retest and adjust. This is done also to avoid surprises.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by CaOCl2
    Well, I learned that when I use the poolcalculator.com that I should check my numbers TWICE and dose ONCE
    There could be errors both ways. I always tell my customers to add half of whatever they're supposed to add, wait, retest and adjust. This is done also to avoid surprises.
    Yep, I have seen that written here before ... and will start practicing that theory. As you say, at least there will be NO surprises. And thanks for the added "dump on" dear Linen ... it was well deserved ...

As for a source of muriatic acid in central NY ... Lowes has 31.5% for around $7.50 or $7.98 per gallon (Klean-Strip). I could NOT find a "pool section" in our Lowes. The only stuff I found at Home Depot was also Klean-Strip but was the "low-odor" / "safer" stuff that an MSDS lists as <25% hydrochloric acid .. whatever that means. Home Depot had a "pool section" but they only had dry acid.

Thanks for everyone's comments / suggestions. My TA has been around 170 and pH usually SLOWLY drifts down as described above. Haven't thought about lowering it because I haven't really thought of it as being problematic.

12. Back To Top    #12

Point the return so the water breaks the surface. This will aerate the water anc cause the pH to rise as the alk gasses off.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by CaOCl2
    Yep, I have seen that written here before ... and will start practicing that theory. As you say, at least there will be NO surprises. And thanks for the added "dump on" dear Linen ... it was well deserved ...

As for a source or muriatic acid in central NY ... Lowes has 31.5% for around $7.50 or $7.98 per gallon (Klean-Strip). I could NOT find a "pool section" in our Lowes. The only stuff I found at Home Depot was also Klean-Strip but was the "low-odor" / "safer" stuff that an MSDS lists as <25% hydrochloric acid .. whatever that means. Home Depot had a "pool section" but they only had dry acid.

Thanks for everyone's comments / suggestions. My TA has been around 170 and pH usually SLOWLY drifts down as described above. Haven't thought about lowering it because I haven't really thought of it as being problematic.
    I can't find MA in the HD in Poughkeepsie, Fishkill or Brewster, NY. I get mine from the local ace or true value HW store in the paint section. $6.99-$7.49/gal. I have not checked Lowes in NY locations
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

dmanb2b - I found the "<25%" Klean-Strip stuff in and around the paint section of the store. It was directly across from the expensive "concrete cleaners" (a "green" version and I guess a "not so green version") by BEHR that did not list contents. Didn't matter, as I wasn't about to throw $20 a gallon for what "maybe was" muriatic acid. As for the Lowes 31.5% Klean-Strip, I found that in Aisle 13 "Cleaners" section.

15. Back To Top    #15

Awesome...will have to check out Lowes
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

16. Back To Top    #16

Acid is usually found outside but under cover in HD and Lowes. Sometimes its in the concrete supply area or in plumbing.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Acid is usually found outside but under cover in HD and Lowes. Sometimes its in the concrete supply area or in plumbing.

Scott
    Both of those stores have a pro desk. Go in and ask them where the swimming pool chemicals are located.
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

18. Back To Top    #18

Scott
    I would love to say they are, but not here in good ole NYS. Home Depot does have a pool section, our Lowes does not. Muriatic acid seems to be "elusive" to consumers around here.
    BTW - I did aerate the pool for a few days and it helped with pH, thanks for that.

19. Back To Top    #19

Scott
    I would love to say they are, but not here in good ole NYS. Home Depot does have a pool section, our Lowes does not. Muriatic acid seems to be "elusive" to consumers around here.
    BTW - I did aerate the pool for a few days and it helped with pH, thanks for that.
    thepiratemorgan, the HD in DeWitt has a whole pallet of MA outside near the concrete supply, 2 gallons for $11.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053
    16'X36' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Autopilot DIG-220
    Aquacal Heat Pump
    Polaris 9300

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks, I noted that also when I searched on Home Depot's website, said not avail. in any store near me. I did see was available in Dewitt, however, too far of a drive for me ... Utica area. Thanks for your "heads up" though ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast