Linen, Can I stop shocking Yet? Please?

bunedockmama

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2010
I have been shocking for about a month, I won't give all the tests but I had been losing 3 to 5.5 ppm on the OCLT. The water has cleared for a couple of weeks now and looks very good.
On 8/16 @ 11:15 AM I added 2 cups bleach, then tested at 3 pm
FC=25.5
CC=1
TC=26.5
Topped off with about an inch of water.

7:45 pm test
FC=22
CC=.75?
TC=22.75 I added no bleach.

8/17/11 8AM, Had to test twice because I couldn't believe these results.
FC=22
CC=.5
TC=22.5
I have not added any bleach today and only 2 cups yesterday?
5:45 pm test
FC=15
CC=.5
TC=15.5
Is this possible? Am I finally finsihed with all the bleach? I was dumping in 3 to 4 qts per day and slowly going down to 2 to 3 qts.
Is it safe to turn on my SWG?
Thank you all so much for the help, esp., Linen, who had me hold off on the SWG before and for all the help and support.

You need to measure the CYA so you know where to aim for FC. So the SWG will probably stay off for a few days more, until FC drifts down and you need to start it. And when FC drops to 10, you can start worrying about pH and get that adjusted.

Start sending out the invitations for the Labor Day Pool Party!

Richard320 said:
You need to measure the CYA so you know where to aim for FC. So the SWG will probably stay off for a few days more, until FC drifts down and you need to start it. And when FC drops to 10, you can start worrying about pH and get that adjusted.

I'm pretty sure I've got my CYA @ 65, I need to get some more to get to 70 I guess?
Start sending out the invitations for the Labor Day Pool Party!
Working on them as we speak. LOL.

Great job Bunedockmama! :party: :cheers:

You scared me when I saw my name in your post :lol: I thought I was in trouble :hammer:

bunedockmama said:
I'm pretty sure I've got my CYA @ 65, I need to get some more to get to 70 I guess?
I thought you were at ~35 ppm? Did you add some CYA? Or is this some weird forum glitch that I saw this quote? If you are at 65, and since you have the intex swg, I wouldn't raise it until you see if you need to. I am running at about 55 ppm CYA and my intex seems to be doing well. YMMV If you are at 35, then I would shoot for 60 (remember it can take a week for CYA to show up after adding it) and adjust from there.

By the way, why not do another OCLT tonight, just let your FC drop, but test the pool after the sun is off of it and, of course, again in the morning before the sun hits it. You should pass, and then you will have good confidence that those dead algae will stay that way :twisted:

linen said:
Great job Bunedockmama! :party: :cheers:

You scared me when I saw my name in your post :lol: I thought I was in trouble :hammer:

bunedockmama said:
I thought you were at ~35 ppm? Did you add some CYA? Or is this some weird forum glitch that I saw this quote? If you are at 65, and since you have the intex swg, I wouldn't raise it until you see if you need to. I am running at about 55 ppm CYA and my intex seems to be doing well. YMMV If you are at 35, then I would shoot for 60 (remember it can take a week for CYA to show up after adding it) and adjust from there.

By the way, why not do another OCLT tonight, just let your FC drop, but test the pool after the sun is off of it and, of course, again in the morning before the sun hits it. You should pass, and then you will have good confidence that those dead algae will stay that way :twisted:

Linen, I tried to post a reply to you, a rather long one and my puter did it again! I lost it. I will post again in the AM. Thank you for all your help and yes i did add more to get my CYA up. :whoot:

Linen said:
By the way, why not do another OCLT tonight, just let your FC drop, but test the pool after the sun is off of it and, of course, again in the morning before the sun hits it. You should pass, and then you will have good confidence that those dead algae will stay that way

It was too late last night to test after the 5:45pm test, which was FC=15. Hubby got in and soaked and we vac'd. after that. So this am's reading maybe reflecting that, IDK?
8/18/11 8:30 am:
FC=13.5
CC= 1.0
TC=14.5

So I'm going to let it go ahead and drop to 10 as Richard said. I think he also said to let it stay at that, for a couple of days, and adjust the PH, before starting up the SWG? Is that correct?
Again, thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated. :cheers:

Hold on Bunedockmomma! Your CC level is at 1.0, you still need to continue shocking! The "your finished shocking" criteria are in my signature. Unfortunatly you failed #1 :cry: Get those invaders now, don't let them multiply again and take over :rant:

linen said:
Hold on Bunedockmomma! Your CC level is at 1.0, you still need to continue shocking! The "your finished shocking" criteria are in my signature. Unfortunatly you failed #1 :cry: Get those invaders now, don't let them multiply again and take over :rant:

Oh Shoot! I was thinking 1 CC and 1 fc overnight. OK out to add more bleach! Thank you Linen, don't think its dropped past 10 FC today as I went ahead and put in 2 cups in anticipaction of 5 G-kids getting in. Will add a qt of bleach right now! That should get me to about 20 PPM, correct? Oops! I mean 2 qts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.