Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granular Shock Will Not Dissolve

1. Back To Top    #1

Granular Shock Will Not Dissolve

I've been successfully using liquid bleach for several years now and my water is looking great. However, recently I dumped in 2 packets of Zappit (1lb each) granular shock. Got it for free at the pool store and was out of liquid one day. Anyway, it's been about 3 weeks now and it will not dissolve. It sinks to the bottom and the water is clear, but if I brush the sides it clouds up the entire pool.

My pump/filter is running for about 8 hours a day, but I can't seem to get this stuff to dissolve. Very strange.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks!!
    11,000gal, in-ground, concrete, sand filter, 3/4 HP pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Austin Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Granular Shock Will Not Dissolve

However, recently I dumped in 2 packets of Zappit (1lb each) granular shock. Got it for free at the pool store and was out of liquid one day.
    Yikes! Freebies almost never go unpunished!!

Brush it NOW until it dissolves or your skimmer/drain sucks it up. Get it off your liner. Stay out of the pool store. You're not getting any help there.

Why did you put it in your pool to begin with?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I didn't think it would be such a bad idea I guess, I'd done it before but it's just strange that it's not dissolving. I might just vacuum it up to get it through the filter.
    11,000gal, in-ground, concrete, sand filter, 3/4 HP pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Austin Texas

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy
    However, recently I dumped in 2 packets of Zappit (1lb each) granular shock. Got it for free at the pool store and was out of liquid one day.
    Chappy please put the gun down, don't do this, we can work it out....NOOOOOOO
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you guys messin' with me or what. Did I suffer a momentary lapse of sanity by putting that stuff in there pool? I didn't think it was such a big deal... guess I was wrong, huh?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Not so bad with a concrete pool (which I missed) but I would still encourage you to suck it up sooner rather than later and get it in the filter.
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

Right on. Will do. Still... any idea why it wouldn't be dissolving? That's kind of the mystery to me.

8. Back To Top    #8

Super Zappitâ„¢ Shock Treatment is supposed to be just Cal-Hypo and soluble salts so I don't know why you have a residual that isn't dissolving. If your water is quite a bit over-saturated with calcium carbonate, then it could just be chunks of that which are slow to dissolve, though if that were the case then when you added the product the pool would have likely clouded quite severely.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

3 weeks and it hasn't dissolved! I'd vacuum it up and backwash it out! I'd want to be rid of anything that won't dissolve in three weeks.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd personally wonder whether it was a bad lot or something, and that's why they gave it away.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

Good point. I'll vacuum it up and backwash it out tomorrow and just leave it as one of life's unexplained mysteries..... and stick with the liquid bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Quick update.... first attempt at vacuuming didn't go so well.... it just made it all the way through the filter and shot out the jets. I'm trying to vacuum to waste now... not that I want to waste all that water, but I don't see any other way. What is this stuff!!!???

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

If it came out of your filter, something is wrong with your filter.
    Dave S.

14. Back To Top    #14

It's a sand filter, about 3 years old. How should I diagnose? Sounds like it's not exactly filtering...

15. Back To Top    #15

You may need to deep clean the sand. Have you had any algae outbreaks with this filter?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Not in a year or so. I've kind of figured out my chemicals (except for recent events) and I've had great water all year. I've had algae in years past (with this filter) though.

17. Back To Top    #17

Your sand might be channelled - I'd take the top off and give it a looksee.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Your sand might be channelled - I'd take the top off and give it a looksee.
    Wouldn't using the "rinse" or "backwash" setting unchannel the sand?
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

I have backwashed and rinsed several times until the water is clear. If I could get the top off (Tagelus), what am I looking for and what should I do?

The **** shock still puffs up as a white powder whenever I brush anything today, even after I tried vacuuming some of it up yesterday

20. Back To Top    #20

So I removed the top of the filter, stuck a hose down there for about 15 minutes to clean it all out, tried vacuuming again and within a few minutes the white smoke was pouring out of the jets.

Maybe I should try a different approach. Since this stuff dissolves so slowly, should I just keep constantly brushing the pool to keep it circulated - maybe then it will dissolve.

I guess it's better than having algae that won't go away, but it's pretty annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast